1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xenon Headlamp problem

vagman Jan 21, 2007

1. vagman

vagman Member

I had a run-in with a pheasant the other day and the bottom line is that although the lens is not actually broken, there is a hairline crack which goes right through.

Is it possible to repair/replace the lens only, or is a whole new unit required.

If a new one is required, how much am I looking at.

Many thanks for any replies.

2. Dandle

Dandle Member

I don't think you can get the headlight glass for the xenon lights only a whole new light unit. I bet the light unit is probably £200 or more knowing Audi.

3. ahaydock

ahaydock Member

Yep I think dandle is right I am afraid.

4. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A3

Only the complete headlight is listing in the parts catalogue.

5. alfiejts

alfiejts Member

Yep - You can't just replace the glass - its a sealed unit.

I did get my Xenon headlights for £51 the pair from eBay but they were the original Xenon ones, not the latest Xenon Plus. You'd be very lucky to find yours anywhere but a dealer....

6. vagman

vagman Member

Thanks for your replies.

The unit cannot be repaired.

A replacement will cost £350, yes that's right three hundred and fifty quid.

What an effing rip-off.

7. RobinA3

RobinA3 Well-Known Member

try vag-parts, they might be able to get it you cheaper!

8. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A3

That's about half of the upgrade price from normal halogen to xenon plus on a new car. What did you expect....

You could invest in a pair of plastic headlight protectors (around £30.00). Cheaper than replacing another headlight if one gets hit by a stone.

I have a pair that I used to stick the black patches on for continental driving and I shall certainly be using them to protect the xenon plus headlights on my new Sportback.

9. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Active Member

They do say you shouldn't use the head light protectors with Xenons though but I have never had a problem on my last couploe of cars.

J.

10. Davidb67

Davidb67 Member

Got the same problem, along with ahem..., a long list of additional parts required, after hitting a deer at 65mph......