xenon head lights smoke!!! GRRR!!

djcatfood

Reaction score
my audi i bought had had a cow boy fit the xenon head lights!! The full beam lights over heated and burnt the plastic and filled the head light up with smoke!Could do with any wiring info peeps have!!Also how do i know if they have auto levelers in??as is ilegal with out these?? The wiring is a total mess,A lot of wires have been cut here are some pics
22082011103.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
22082011107.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
22082011106.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
22082011108.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] When i start the car sounds like a R2d2 lol!Any info would be wicked!!!

Last edited:
can you upload the pics to photobucket & then link them here? I dont have facebook. You need leveler & headlight washers to be legal. The levelers are attached to the N/S front shocker & rear axel & your head light switch wont have the manual adjuster.

Wow it looks like he has just made up his own Kufatec harness...
first question is are your headlights actually Xenon housings with a xenon bulb in there or is it a halogen housing with a xenon bulb?
i cannot think why it would burn up the plastic if the housings are made for those lights...
also what bulb is currently in there? are they the oem 4300k or is it much higher like a 6000k or 10,000k bulb?

from the looks of that butchering i would say it would be better for you to get yourself a new OEM harness and replace that crap the last owner left behind.

It has the head light washers so is it xenon housing with xenon bulb? dont know what bulb is in them its more white than blue,The plastic smell came fron the halogen bulbs over heating and burning the plastic.Will try get some more pics up.

Last edited:
ok so its standard xenons you have with halogen high beam. thats even more strange as no wiring modification is needed when retro fitting these... its a simple plug and play on normal halogen units.
mate if i were you i'd be ripping that all out and replacing it with a OEM harness... im sure any standard light harness from a breaker would do it.

what gets me is in your last pic there are 2 wires trailing up to the wipers... thats how the bi-xenon wiring is! the standard xenons dont have that wiring if im correct.
just guessing here but maybe that car had bi-xenons on it at any point with the cowboy wiring done on it and then later removed again?

ok so its standard xenons you have with halogen high beam. thats even more strange as no wiring modification is needed when retro fitting these... its a simple plug and play on normal halogen units.
mate if i were you i'd be ripping that all out and replacing it with a OEM harness... im sure any standard light harness from a breaker would do it.
were do i start??a lot of the wires have been cut??

what gets me is in your last pic there are 2 wires trailing up to the wipers... thats how the bi-xenon wiring is! the standard xenons dont have that wiring if im correct.
just guessing here but maybe that car had bi-xenons on it at any point with the cowboy wiring done on it and then later removed again?
Now uploading more pics mate!!

the last pic is were he has daisy chained the full beam lights total bodge!!

were the full beam lights on when it started melting the plastic? silly question i know but im wondering how long it took for the plastic to melt... how long did you have the full beams on for?
or is it just that the wiring was done so bad that the wires themselves just started burning up?
i honestly dont know what to make of that mess...re

replace it asap before things catch fire!

They look like bi-xenons to me. The yellow wires are repair wires (I should know LOL)

Are you sure its not been the other way round & car has been updated to Bi-xenons looking at the year of the car? The wiring may have been altered to wire the DRL bulbs to the main beam & stop the bulb out error as I'm guessing the the car's CE wont support Bi-Xenons.

were the full beam lights on when it started melting the plastic? silly question i know but im wondering how long it took for the plastic to melt... how long did you have the full beams on for?
or is it just that the wiring was done so bad that the wires themselves just started burning up?
i honestly dont know what to make of that mess...re

replace it asap before things catch fire!
Yeh the full beams were on 4 about 20 mins, the heat from the light started too melt the plastic the wires seemed ok strange? disconected the full beams,I live in norwich i sent a pm too nigel need help!!!

They look like bi-xenons to me. The yellow wires are repair wires (I should know LOL)

Are you sure its not been the other way round & car has been updated to Bi-xenons looking at the year of the car? The wiring may have been altered to wire the DRL bulbs to the main beam & stop the bulb out error as I'm guessing the the car's CE wont support Bi-Xenons.
wish i did know only had the car a week grr!

Khufu is right, i didnt look at the housing properly.
so the lazy cow boy tried to save himself some money and not buy the adapters or the CE unit and fitted in bi-xenons...
it makes no sense as the unit would not flash with the xenon bulb but instead with the DRL bulb which is far too weak to use as a flash.
does the 'full beam' light come on by itself or did you push the stalk to keep it on?
it seems that you have your work cut out here mate, to get it back to normal you would either need to get standard xenons and a wiring loom for them or get a new Central electrics module and a new harness with the adapters to get it all working... or just manually rewire the lot which is a lot of work but can be done with the help of Elsawin.

the CE is probably telling the car that you have a standard headlight unit in there and pushing too much power to the bulbs thus burning out the wires.
i know i have said this before but if you went back to standard xenons and a proper loom you could sell on the bi-xenons and still make a profit on them.

Khufu is right, i didnt look at the housing properly.
so the lazy cow boy tried to save himself some money and not buy the adapters or the CE unit and fitted in bi-xenons...
it makes no sense as the unit would not flash with the xenon bulb but instead with the DRL bulb which is far too weak to use as a flash.
does the 'full beam' light come on by itself or did you push the stalk to keep it on?
it seems that you have your work cut out here mate, to get it back to normal you would either need to get standard xenons and a wiring loom for them or get a new Central electrics module and a new harness with the adapters to get it all working... or just manually rewire the lot which is a lot of work but can be done with the help of Elsawin.

the CE is probably telling the car that you have a standard headlight unit in there and pushing too much power to the bulbs thus burning out the wires.
i know i have said this before but if you went back to standard xenons and a proper loom you could sell on the bi-xenons and still make a profit on them.
Excuse my stupidity here!! bi xenons are were dipped and full beam are both xenons??the full beam was a standard bulb?what is a drl bulb??I think the full beam was permently on when i turned the lights on this was the second time of driving it like it at night. what would be the best option to take? with out throwing loads of moeny at it?I appreciate your input mate!

Excuse my stupidity here!! bi xenons are were dipped and full beam are both xenons??the full beam was a standard bulb?what is a drl bulb??I think the full beam was permently on when i turned the lights on this was the second time of driving it like it at night. what would be the best option to take? with out throwing loads of moeny at it?I appreciate your input mate!

i was also getting bulb errors on the computer on the dash!

on standard xenon lights you have xenons for dipped lights, and the main beam is a separate halogen bulb & there is a sidelight bulb in the same bit. On Bi-xenons the dip is xenon & when you select main beam it moves a shutter that directs the beam up. The area that was the main beam on standard xenons has a bulb that is for the Day Running Lights and the sidelight bulb is in there too. The Central Electronics module assigns power to all the components on the car. If it doesn't detect the correct power drain it thinks there is a bulb out & sends a warning to the Drivers Informtion System. You CE module will be too old to support BI's so it cant be coded to send the correct power to lights hence error message. What bulbs are in the inner lights that are the DRLs? - should be just a normal RU382 bulb like an indicator or foglight bulb etc, not a halogen bulb. The small side light should be a capless RU501 bulb.

Reactions: djcatfood
I will look at the pics tomorrow mate & get back to your PM asap if thats ok.

But from what I can see, thats a ****** mess & smoke is not a good sign.

i couldnt have explained it better!

here mate have a small read through this and you should understand what we are on about:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/117857-xenon-bi-xenon-differences.html

the old owner fitted bi-xenon (bi meaning 2, hence 2 xenons in one) but didn't do the wiring or coding to the car to upgrade it. this would be because your car would not accept the bi-xenon as the control module is too old to support it. so instead of upgrading the CE (central electrics module) he just did a bodge job and rewired the headlights so 'it would work' but as you have now found out they are far from working properly.

we could discuss the issue and problems all night but you really need a solution to get it working properly before it does any serious damage to the car.

as i said before i would go the cheaper option and get a original audi loom off another car (from breakers) and then replace the crappy wiring in your car and also replace the bi-xenon headlights with 'Standard' xenons, this would then require a small bit of coding if its not already done on the car and your lights will work fine with no further issues.

if you really want to keep the bi-xenons then you would still need to replace the crappy wiring but also you would need to get the bi-xenon adapters and an updated CE and install that so that the car will work properly (if you could locate an original bi-xenon loom then your wouldn't need the adapter). Khufu has upgraded his CE in his car when he was upgrading to bi-xenon and i'm sure he will tell you its not an easy job.