1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xenon fault

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by rizzini7, Feb 20, 2012.

1. rizzini7

rizzini7 Active Member

[Feb 20, 2012]
    My drivers head light main beam is playing up. Its fitted with the adaptive ones (move left/right, up/down on corners etc...) The main bean goes out every now and then. But when i flick the steering to the right it comes back on but sometimes goes out again when i straighten the steering. The dip beam works fine and the adaptive works. The car has recently been lowered 30mm and fitted with b5 spring cups. Do i need to adjust or reset anything??? Thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. tak1986

tak1986 New Member

[Feb 21, 2012]
    is it b6 / b7? my b7 s4 used to have flickering issues with the xenon, poteinally the ballast need replaceing.
  4. rizzini7

rizzini7 Active Member

[Feb 22, 2012]
    Appears it comes on when left or right now. Having a front end judder when turning every now and then at the moment. Also got to replace RARB bushes. So will see how it goes when theyre sorted. Hopefully its all linked
  5. rizzini7

rizzini7 Active Member

[May 13, 2012]
    Problem still here. Any input before i try new ballast at somepoint
  6. smm20vt

smm20vt New Member

[May 15, 2012]
    i would try new bulbs first its the cheaper option. i had both lights that use to go out on my b7 avant, i put some new philips xenon bulbs in and its cured the problem
  7. Ste_Nova

Ste_Nova Active Member

[May 15, 2012]
    i wonder if you have damaged wiring in the headlight that is connecting when the projector moves
  8. rizzini7

rizzini7 Active Member

[May 15, 2012]
    Suppose that could be possible last time when fitting the new bulbs in August or lowering in Feb. Where abouts is the sensor for the adaptive for steering???
  9. ben.w93

ben.w93 Member

[May 15, 2012]
    Could be the bulb, my bulbs kept flickering and cutting out. I replaced the bulbs and they work perfectly now. Might be a loose connection on the back of the bulb too as they are fiddly to fit.
  10. rizzini7

rizzini7 Active Member

[May 16, 2012]
    Its had new OEM bulbs already. So i hope its not them. And when it goes out it only goes onto a dip beam not out all together???? Just after ideas before we take the bumper etc.. off. Ive found someone who will do me a new OEM ballast for £140 so may give that a go. Im just wondering if it could be a fault on the steering end
  11. Richardesty

Richardesty loves quattro

[May 16, 2012]
    Well as you'll have seen when you swapped the bulbs, they're just a single bulb - not like the old H4 dim/dip style.

Listen when you flick your main beam on....

Your car changes from main beam to dip beam via a flap of metal, the bulb doesn't do a thing...... Sounds like its that mechanism which is failing, and as you'll probably guess links in with the direction control mechanism.
  12. rizzini7

rizzini7 Active Member

[May 16, 2012]
    Could be worth me trying to get a look at the mechanism before buying a ballast then. Another bumper off job then :(. Will try and do it next weekend and swap the ballasts at the same time. Atleast if it changes sides its the ballast. Otherwise the lights seem to work fine
  13. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[May 28, 2012]
    Sounds to me as though the wiring to the bulb could be affected or pulling on the bulb connector when turning, shorting momentarily, I would so s you already planned, remove headlights & check visually, test with bumper of & then refit when happy of course.
  14. rizzini7

rizzini7 Active Member

[May 28, 2012]
    Yeah going to give it a go in a couple of weeks when my mate is free. Not sure on removing bumper myself :).
  15. rizzini7

rizzini7 Active Member

[Jun 4, 2012]
    Well finally swapped ballasts and drivers side still plays up. So its the headlight and not ballast. Is there anyway to repair or is it a swap job???
  16. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Jun 5, 2012]
    Already suggested you need to check visually internals of the headlight, I still think it could be something getting caught internally.
  17. rizzini7

rizzini7 Active Member

[Oct 2, 2012]
    Long update, after still having issues with headlight and ballast (not sure if my mate did swap the ballast or the bulbs in the end ???) got fed up and have now replaced the light and ballast. Also checked and played with all wiring at the same time. And so far so good the issue seems to have gone. Ballast got sold on as repairs a while ago as a dud and last night sold my spare passenger and pos repairs drivers lights and bulbs to new member Sam00Cleveland who is doing a retrofit. Sounds like he knows what he's doing with electrics so hopefully he has more luck with it.