1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you replace big end bolts?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Omniquito, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Omniquito

Omniquito Member

[Sep 15, 2012]
    Hi All,

An easy question but if you were replacing the big end and main shells would you replace the bolts too?

This may sound daft but they are really really expensive and i am chasing an oil pressure issue and want to safely save money as there is no guarantee this will fix it :(
  2. Ads

Ads

[Jan 27, 2015]

3. StaceyS3

StaceyS3 Well-Known Member

[Sep 15, 2012]
    The bolts on the main bearing caps are stretch bolts so will need replacing, and the big ends it might ve worth replacing the nuts but can't say I really know as never refitted standard rods ;)
  4. Omniquito

Omniquito Member

[Sep 15, 2012]
    Actually let me clarify, its and APY S3 engine
  5. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

[Sep 15, 2012]
    Like Stacey says those bolts are stretch bolts so don't reuse them or you could have a whole engine rebuild on your hands!
  6. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

[Sep 15, 2012]
    I'd replace them with new bolts mate. They are stretch bolts like the cylinder head bolts and they're not designed to be reused.
  7. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Sep 15, 2012]
    If going to that much effort to change bearings on big ends and mains then its a false economy to not replace bolts etc especially seeing as the mileage is generally high on these engines nowadays.. As the engine is out you may as well do it properly....

For what its worth if you are rebuilding the engine and looking for more power then its advisible to fit aftermarket rods... rifle drilled ones... these come with ARP bolts as std and are tightened differently to OEM bolts...

<tuffty/>