Would you buy this car if it was you? Please help

Fanboy

An Audi Fanboy
Reaction score
Hi everyone and happy new year!

I'm about buying an absolute mint condition A4, everything is good about the car and the price is reasonable too :)

Just checked the HPI and it's all clear, absolutely a great car to buy, one thing that has recently put me off is when I checked the MOT advisories, basically in 2010 the MOT was passed but with the following comments;

Don't exactly know what it means;

And does it mean something bad has happened to the car or what...

alloys scuffs/ns sill damage//nsr arch damage///osf scuffs

If you could advice whether it's worth buying it or not, I would really appreciate your help guys
smile3453453.gif

Does it means it has been repainted too? Asking because the car doesn't have a single scratch nor dings and dents, so I'm a bit confused with this one!

If it was you, would you buy it?

Many thanks

Thats an interesting one, I have never seen an MOT with that sort of information on it before.

If the car is clean, it stands a very good chance that it has had bodywork on it, it maybe worth getting someone who knows bodywork etc to give it a once over to see if its all good, if its the same sort of price as other ones on the market, it maybe worth waiting, as you dont know what lies beneath all the scuffs etc.....

Thats an interesting one, I have never seen an MOT with that sort of information on it before.

If the car is clean, it stands a very good chance that it has had bodywork on it, it maybe worth getting someone who knows bodywork etc to give it a once over to see if its all good, if its the same sort of price as other ones on the market, it maybe worth waiting, as you dont know what lies beneath all the scuffs etc.....

I had never seen such thing before too, I do usually tend to check the MOT advisories but never ever thought I would see such thing! The funny thing is it's HPI clear... so my guess is chances are it had involved in a light accident and wasn't claimed for, just fixed it themselves...

What do you think I should tell the seller as I have already left him a 100 quid deposit, was going to collect it tomorrow...

Any chance I could ask for refund!?
Thanks for the reply mate :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any car can be hpi clear if the work is done privately. It depends where you are getting the car from, if it's private you may lose the deposit, if it's a garage the same but worth a try. I know it's a £100 but at least you have the piece of mind that the car you are buying is straight.

Any car can be hpi clear if the work is done privately. It depends where you are getting the car from, if it's private you may lose the deposit, if it's a garage the same but worth a try. I know it's a £100 but at least you have the piece of mind that the car you are buying is straight.

So you reckon is still worth the money?
But what if I want to sell it afterwards, anybody has access to the official mot history website and could check this even before viewing the car which put them off!

If I knew about this then I wouldn't bother to go and view the car at all!

Cheers

I can't really say if it's worth the money as don't know all the details, it is up to you after all on whether you want to buy it and if it's something that will keep bugging you or not.

Only thing I would do if it was me is possibly get an aa check done so they check the bottom of the car etc just check it's all straight, if the outcome is good then no reason not to.

I can't really say if it's worth the money as don't know all the details, it is up to you after all on whether you want to buy it and if it's something that will keep bugging you or not.

Only thing I would do if it was me is possibly get an aa check done so they check the bottom of the car etc just check it's all straight, if the outcome is good then no reason not to.

Thanks buddy :) sure I understand

Even if the car was in an accident and it was claimed through the insurance then that wouldn't necessarily show on a hpi report unless it was a total loss

Even if the car was in an accident and it was claimed through the insurance then that wouldn't necessarily show on a hpi report unless it was a total loss

Yes that's right! But I wasn't aware of this until a friend bought an Audi S5 taking into count that it's HPI was clear, but 2 months down the line he found out that the car was actually involved in a small accident and was repaired through insurance claim...

He couldn't return the car to dealer as they sold on with the HPI clear in mind, and never mentioned I'd the car had accident... luckily he sold the car as he didn't wanna loose any money if he was to sell it in year time...

In fact the paint work wasn't that great, so it was done very cheaply!!!

So how could you tell if a car was in an accident despite it's HPI records?

Cheers

You can't. That's the idea as it could have been a non fault accident. It would be nice for the buyer but not for the seller. Let's imagine someone crashed into your car and admits fault, if you claim on the insurance it goes down as a non-fault accident. When you come to sell your car then why should your car be undervalued through no fault of your own. An insurance repaired car should always be done back to manufacturer specification and quality. If this can't be done then the car will be written off.

Unfortunely the only way to tell is to have a good check over the car, including any likely impact areas which would cause concern. If the car has been repaired to factory condition then there should be no harm.

It seems your friend paid the price for not thoroughly inspecting the car.

Reactions: Fanboy
All I would say is that if you're not 100% happy walk away. IME if a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is, there's plenty of other fish in the sea.

Reactions: Fanboy
All I would say is that if you're not 100% happy walk away. IME if a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is, there's plenty of other fish in the sea.

Yes absolutely, I will wait for another one!

Cheers

Reactions: Nilz