Would you buy the same model again??

Koojo4

Reaction score
hi folks
If you were going able to buy your B6 car again after all those years of living with it would you buy it exactly the same or would you buy a different model i.e.- the s4 instead of the 3litre and so forth..... would you still change stuff or wish you had just left it at a certain stage of tune?? 1.8t tuning gone to far chasing BNP but ended up making it unreliable as hell....?

Why I ask is I have been driving my old car which my dad owns( golf anni tdi revo'd from when I had it) and it was great fun just enough power and been mega reliable!!!! So I've been looking at some motors 1.9 tdi's - (b6 avants mainly )as you do lol

HOWEVER I only do 3k miles per year max, short journeys etc so a derv isn't being looked at for economy reasons I just like the shove the torque gives

So folks which model did you buy and what would you buy giving what you know now?? The same or something totally different

Cheers
Baz

Buying a b6 or b7 would be the sensible option for me as I have so many bits and bobs, probably a 190bhp 1.8t just for a change if I was going to do it but I'd probably go 335i or something daft instead just for a change or something electric that I can't mod or god knows I go through fads in my head.

I'd buy exactly the same car but I'd get a AA inspection before I bought it, and I'd take it straight to Audi for an inspection straight afterwards. That would have saved me a hell of a lot of money. :)

I'll never have the same car twice, my B6 has been fantastic and not ready for the chop yet but when it does I'll probably have a Jag XF.

I have a 1.9tdi and its been great apart from the odd couplle of costly failures . Would i buy the same again probably although a 2ltr version would defo be considered

Well I do like the B7 shape also and I did wonder how the 3.0 tdi would serv as a decent powered beast as standard and a remapped one must be fun with all that twist....also defo wouldn't say no to the 2.0tfsi avant. I would avoid the 2.0derv like the plague though unless it had proof of the balancer shaft mod/replacement.

335i with a map is awesome!! My pal has the 335d m sport xdrive (64 plate)and it's class!!! But his pal has the 335i petrol mapped to 380ish and he reckons it flies!!! But I did look at the 335d estate as an option but there are some horror stories regarding 'swirl flaps' sub frames and all sorts of expensive gear!!

The golf dad and I have had has been great tbh apart from a soft cam prob on the tdi 150 which he took the opportunity to do a top end build and new turbo as his thought was it's done 100k so I'll renew it whilst it's stripped( he insisted on a brand new VW turbo at the same time I was saying noooo let's look at hybrids lol but he wanted new from VW his money I suppose)

Reactions: DieselJake
Has anybody got experience of the b6 2.5tdi Quattro?? Are they any good or unreliable better than a tuned 1.9tdi?! Is the auto box worth having or bst avoided??

Seen a couple for sale and they are something like 180bhp out of the box without a remap so should map for some decent power and torque??

Cheers

Scratch the above question just done a quick ' google ' there getting slated by people on here

Reactions: DieselJake
Yeah the 1.9 is looking like the best bet. I don't do many miles so a petrol would/could be an option I have seen the 1.8t 190bhp petrols but not sure what they are like regarding weak points. I would defo avoid any form of auto/ multitronic boxes I assuming???even though the manual box clutches aren't very strong well they don't seem to be on the mk4 golfs...

If your sold on the chassis 1.9tdi and 1.8t are the most reliable unless you include 2.0 N/A which most people don't as it's not really good on fuel or performance or anything really. All depends what you want, if your tuning it expect more things to break and need to be swapped/upgraded.

If your sold on the chassis 1.9tdi and 1.8t are the most reliable unless you include 2.0 N/A which most people don't as it's not really good on fuel or performance or anything really. All depends what you want, if your tuning it expect more things to break and need to be swapped/upgraded.

I'm getting on now a days (42) I've got millions of kids running about and I would go as far as a remap to lift easy power from there nothing else would be touched unless it needed replacing, wouldn't be lowering it or air ride etc... even big turbos would be out of the equation. I'm more liking reliability and it starting when I get in it rather than tuning it to death.
It's just for a hobby to share the duties with my t4 do school runs and the likes nothing more than that not relied upon just a little play thing reallly. I'm not into mx5's and 2 seater stuff the vans and avants etc... is more my bag for a fun car !!lol.....

Tbh I would buy something else if it was power and tuning over everything else I was after but it's mainly the shape of the B6 or B7 avant that I like with the option of the extra space etc...I think the there is no better looking estate including the newer vag stuff.

If I had to pick another B6, my choice would remain the same - 3.0 V6 Quattro Sport Avant, 6MT.

If I had to pick another B6, my choice would remain the same - 3.0 V6 Quattro Sport Avant, 6MT.
How do you rate the 3.0 V6 as a package?? I know you like them because your putting in an engine from an aeroplane!!! Lol I do love a turbo car for the torque and easy access from low down (derv are ok for that) Although I've had an e36 M3 3.0 and that was pretty good apart my size 13 feet kept hitting the brake and accelerator at the same time
Is it not low on torque compared to turbo engines??

Ps been following your post regarding your 420 upgrade excellent read keep us updated

Reactions: Nollywood
How do you rate the 3.0 V6 as a package?? I know you like them because your putting in an engine from an aeroplane!!! Lol I do love a turbo car for the torque and easy access from low down (derv are ok for that) Although I've had an e36 M3 3.0 and that was pretty good apart my size 13 feet kept hitting the brake and accelerator at the same time
Is it not low on torque compared to turbo engines??

Ps been following your post regarding your 420 upgrade excellent read keep us updated

Thanks buddy!

In terms of preference, I would still pick the 3.0 V6 N/A engine over the 1.8T, even if I wasn't doing an RS6 BCY swap.

I've owned an '03 Avant Quattro 1.8T 5MT SE, and while it was an okay car, contrary to belief, even with a remap from 163 to 188hp, it certainly wasn't quick in real terms. It was a massive improvement from stock, but still slower than my previous Avant Quattro 3.0 Tip SE. Definitely slower than my current 3.0 6MT.

Also, with me, another important aspect of any engine is the exhaust note. Regardless of power output, and exhaust fitted, a 1.8T remains an I4, and it'll always lack the silky smooth V6's bass note. There's just no comparison in my book. The B6 "BEX" 190 is a capable car, but at no point within the useable rev range does it make more torque than the 3.0 N/A motor.

Thanks buddy!

In terms of preference, I would still pick the 3.0 V6 N/A engine over the 1.8T, even if I wasn't doing an RS6 BCY swap.

I've owned an '03 Avant Quattro 1.8T 5MT SE, and while it was an okay car, contrary to belief, even with a remap from 163 to 188hp, it certainly wasn't quick in real terms. It was a massive improvement from stock, but still slower than my previous Avant Quattro 3.0 Tip SE. Definitely slower than my current 3.0 6MT.

Also, with me, another important aspect of any engine is the exhaust note. Regardless of power output, and exhaust fitted, a 1.8T remains an I4, and it'll always lack the silky smooth V6's bass note. There's just no comparison in my book. The B6 "BEX" 190 is a capable car, but at no point within the useable rev range does it make more torque than the 3.0 N/A motor.

How did you find the tip box is it troublesome? I know the multitronic has some right horror stories I researched the 2.5tdi and that got absolutely slated by a few lads on this forum. But the tip/auto is a different box but is it still a prob waiting to happen, especially as the B6 are getting on now a days....???

I've had a 2.0 SE, 1.8T and the S4, all in the B6 chassis and loved em. I would have the 1.8T and S4 B6 again, no problem, the S4 was brutal and sounded amazing with the V8 engine and Miltek exhaust. I love the shape of the B6 over the B7, and in a few months time i'll be on the hunt for a Avant B6

Reactions: QuattroCalum
I've had a 2.0 SE, 1.8T and the S4, all in the B6 chassis and loved em. I would have the 1.8T and S4 B6 again, no problem, the S4 was brutal and sounded amazing with the V8 engine and Miltek exhaust. I love the shape of the B6 over the B7, and in a few months time i'll be on the hunt for a Avant B6

Can imagine the v8 would sound amazing!!

If your hunting for another b6 are you looking for the v8 again ??

I'm running an A4 B6 1.9tdi. Apart from a cracked sump (stone hit the sump plug) I've not had any problems at all - nothing. It's got 335k miles on it (lots of runs between Isle of Skye & Portsmouth) & my local mechanic, when he was replacing the sump, said that it looked like it had come off the production line. MPG was great on motorway & overall I averaged around 55-57 (measured over several thousand consecutive miles). The only thing wrong with the car is the dreaded rusty front fenders & also rust in the roof channels ( parked in Portsmouth dockyard for 7 months at a time - salty air wasn't kind to the bodywork). The 1.9tdi (AVF) is bullet proof as someone mentioned before - so much so, that I've just bought another one but this time an Avant Quattro Sport. Same engine & even same colour so I have spares! I've heard bad things about the CVT boxes &, by all accounts, Audi should be ashamed to have put the 4 ring stamp on it or passed it off as good engineering. I believe the early B7 2.0tdi engines had major issues with the oil pump so probably best to avoid them or at least read up on it before buying. If you need more space maybe look at the A6 but IMHO the A4 is a fantastic car. Good luck with it. Paul

Reactions: Andyb5tdi
B6 saloon 1.8t quattro S-line? Hell yeah! Will be even better when I get it running lol. Only thing I might change is the colour, I may prefer a black/ metallic black one

B6 saloon 1.8t quattro S-line, yep very happy with it 70k miles only, 34/35 mpg on longer runs ( no hanging about tho').
Looks great in Mauritius blue pearl - creamy half leather, bodywork is absolute pits to keep clean......... so ... wind the clock back knowing what I now know.....I'd go for Avus.

Reactions: Andyb5tdi
Really avus, I love the Mauritius blue defo my fave colour especially in avant maybe some fat 5's and a mapped 1.9 or mapped petrol not that I've drove the 1.8t tbh only the B7 2.0t Quattro.