Would you be put off by an 3.0TDI with high mileage?

Mikemc

Scooby Slayer
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As title really. Looking to buy an A5 or an A4, with the 3.0tdi lump. Also considering a 330/335d (sorry).

Should I be put off from buying one that has over 90-100k on the clock? Ideally I'd like to have minimum less than 80 so come selling time it's under 100k still? I'm sure a looked after car with regular services and no missed intervals could be a great buy or could still have issues down the line as could a car that hasn't been looked after could be problem free? ( obviously more prone to some sort of failure)

Any thoughts on this?

Hi i purchased an a6 c6 2.7 tdi avant about 6 months ago like you i was looking to buy one with low millage
After a lot of research i bought one with 158k on clock but it was a one owner full audi service history
as these and the 3litre if looked after are good for very high millage
touch wood no hassle with mine yet
its all a gamble even with new cars
cheers Pete

No worries as long as mileage reflected in price accurately.

330/335 d ? How come not E60 530/535 d ?

Last edited:
When I was looking I could have got a cheaper car pretty much the same as mine for several thousand pounds less but it had 125K on the clock.
It didn't look it and had a full service history but I hung out and in the end the car I bought had 76K on the clock.
I looked for a few months for a 3.0 TDI B8 with a manual box and there aren't that many.
I worked out that roughly every 10K miles was worth about £400 off the price.This was on a 2008 B8 3.0 TDI Avant.
The B8 3.0 TDI doesn't have that many things that go wrong with it. Mine needed a new glow plug, £13 for a genuine one and 10 minutes to change and a solenoid for the fuel cap, a common issue with A4's. That was about £35 for all the bits from Audi.
If you can get a car at the right price with more miles then adding 20K onto a car with 120K isn't going to make as much difference as adding 20K onto a car with 60K. If you do a lot less than average mileage then the overall average on the car will come down.
They are very reliable strong engines and if it's spent most of the miles on the motorway 80mph is around 2K rpm so it will have had an easy life.

Karl.

Well as the B8s are only around 6 years old now any with over 100k on have probably spent most there life on the motorway as the average mileage is 12k a year for your average motor so that is 72k for a 6 year old B8 so I would say over 100k is safe as will have had an easy life, prob better than a 6 year old car with 40k on clock sounds sill but its true.

It's a DSG gearbox in these cars so not multitronic or tiptronic. Should have a service every 40K so as it's just done 80K the DSG service should have been done. Looks nice .

Thats the issue I found when looking. The problem is the cars are in demand so prices reflect that, some people ask daft money for the cars. The car I bought was advertised for 13 and I got it for 12250 but it was a private sale and the car is an SE so missing a few toys .
If you want a high spec low mileage car then it will cost money.
Just had a look on autotrader and the 3.0 A5's seem to start around 10K but have 125K miles on.

Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quattro Sport 2dr

The one you are looking at is 2009 and it appears to be one of the cheapest 2009 cars on autotrader. If you want a year older you can save 2K with a similar spec car, lose a bit of the spec/ add some miles and you could save 3K. That car looks reasonably priced but you never pay the asking price. Make them an offer they can only say no.

Karl.

I will do cheers, I'm waiting til April/May time I have a few grand coming with tax rebates and other things coming in so I'll have a nice large deposit to put down.

It's a DSG gearbox in these cars so not multitronic or tiptronic. Should have a service every 40K so as it's just done 80K the DSG service should have been done. Looks nice .

In my a4 b8 3.0tdi and guessing the same for a5tdi it is tiptronic transmission with torque converter. allegedly life time oil by audi but ZF recommend 80K services, im just about to hit 90k and the only problems iv had are egr cooler thermostat and 1 intake manifold flap thing

Reactions: Cobstar
When I bought my A4, I chopped in a 210 mile BMW 330d. It never missed a beat and bar a little bit of bodywork needed, it still ran like it was new. It went to BMW for all its servicing and was spot on - over its life, it only cost me £700 outside of routine maintenance.

Appreciate they're not all like that but if well looked after and documented then you could get a really good car for the money. I kept literally every invoice for work and parts I ever purchased for the new owner to see! It was on its original clutch and glowplugs throughout.

Reactions: Cobstar
Researching a 3.0 TDI with tiptronic as my next car and looking for a keeper. So the recent posts make encouraging reading - thank you :)

Hi owned a e60 535d 2006 55
1 owner 55k highly tuneable. With the right mods 400 bhp 700nm

A bit off post but I purchased my 2.0 TFsi quattro, tiptronic avant, 2010 year with 89k on the clock, one owner motorway miles. Had oil consumption fix at 98k so pretty much a new engine £5500k work cost me nothing. So pretty much a new car, just changed discs and pads, other than that car is spotless. So what I am saying is it might be worth looking out for one and gate it sorted by Audi, could use this as a negotiation tool to get one cheap?
Mine had all but one service by Audi and had a Revo stage one remap. Vindis audi Huntingdon did all the work without any issues. Might be wrong but mpg probably quite similar and with stage 1 remap car is pretty quick!