1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would this be possible on standard inlets?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by S3-SiB, Apr 14, 2011.

1. S3-SiB

S3-SiB Member

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

But I have been looking at getting the standard inlets to face the other way with the TB on a AGU (basically TB from drivers side to passenger side). You guys helped me out in another post alot! By suggesting a sharan inlet manifold a long with other idea's and possibilities.

However I was inspired by this:

[​IMG]

I was wondering if this would be possible on a standard manifold, would the silicon 3-4ply be strong enough to support it if I was to cut it above the injectors (I have no idea on how much the inlet weighs) or if it is heavy would I be able to slide/fit some brackets in to support it reasonably, if so any ideas against what?

I understand by flipping the standard manifold over the geometry will change, the end branch will move closer to the injectors and towards the direction of the firewall and will move slightly higher/closer to the bonnet, which I will take into consideration.

I know I also need a lip/bead so the silicone doesn't slide off, with this I am assuming the manifold is made from cast iron, can someone confirm this, as if this is the case then I can cheekly get away with making a bead using brazing as it will remain firm and not effect the iron in any negative way.

Thanks for any support or advice in advance!
  2. S3-SiB

S3-SiB Member

Bump, any advice lads?
  3. DavidW

DavidW Member

I don't think you'll be able to flip the manifold over. I'm not clued up on the AGU manifold but my AMK one bolts to a bracket underneath and there is also a sensor that is bolted to the mani and the vac pipes all underneath, so obviously these would now be on top. I think a better bet may be to get a mani with the TB on the right and try to attach the ports from your AGU one.

I understand you are wanting the AGU mani because it's large port but why are you trying to swap inlet sides?
  4. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

Forgot to reply to this the other day.

The inlet manifold has a support bracket under it on the right hand side (well does on the s3's) so you wouldnt have to worry about the manifold been under strain.

Have a look at this:

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=375661

Stupidly priced but gives you an idea.

The only hard part i would say would be getting the silicone to grip and not blow off, can you weld a lip onto the manifold runners? What material is it? Some type of cast?
  5. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

Manifold is cast alluminium, nodoubt about that. I think its a good idea, but, you'l need two manifolds, one to take the agu runners off, and another off a 225/210 engine to use the main chamber so that it bolts to tge brackets, and, all the pipe nipples and egt sensor are underneath. Not a bad idea though, only fault I can think of is that there will be some sort of step between the two parts, not one smooth runner, unless you can get them to meet, which thinking about it is possible.
  6. Dani_B19

Well if any has a AGU mani i can have ill chop up my spare 225 mani and give it ago :).
  7. S3-SiB

S3-SiB Member

Thanks for the input guys, if its aluminum I can still get brazing rods and put a lip on. I will have to measure up the outer diameter of the runners and see if there are any silicone sizes suitable as if its an off size then it may well be more hassle than its worth.

But I never thought about the additional nipples it will look silly sticking up, like a cow laying on its back with its udders up. This has made me sad :laugh: So will all the 210/225 mani's be wide port? Also will the AGU mani bolt directly on to them as I know with the 180bhp mani's its impossible on the AUM/AUQ engine codes as the bolt/stud pattern is slightly different?
  8. Dani_B19

no 210/225's are all smallport heads so smallport runners!