1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would I swap my S3 for new A3 3.2Q DSG?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by audidude, Feb 18, 2004.

1. audidude

audidude New Member

No Way Jose!!

Drove one today and VERY disappointed.
    1-interior no better except newer

2-steering ***** - like NO feel and turn wheel and there's a curious "ah - turning - ah - oh yeah! better get into it" feeling - wow - you feel like you are a degree of seperation away from the front wheels. Nice and light for parking though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

3-stunningly smooth DSG - very clever bit of kit that, but also distances you from the driving experience - give me a six speed manual with clutch any day - hey my S3's got one of those! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4-my chipped S3's quicker and it FEELS it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

5-the ride was aweful - jiggly and nervous around town although better at speed.

6-much improved refinement (=less involvement too though)

Roll on the RS3 6sp manual is all I can say at present.

Cheers

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. garethj

garethj Member

It's not an S3 replacement so it is hardly a shock that the S3 is more involving.

4. audidude

audidude New Member

But it should be FAR more involving than it is given that it's design is 7 years younger and given Audi's move to become the more sporting arm of VAG.

And that particular model is definitely pitched performancewise into hot hatch territory.

Cheers

5. garethj

garethj Member

I agree it could be better, the suspension is an odd hybrid that is neither sporty nor comfortable. I like the steering although it is not quite as informative as it could be.

6. Ram

Ram Member

Keep the S3...

If you want the A4 3.2, get the engine and gearbox remapped - that'll improve it, but it still doesn't have the urgency of a turbocharger!

Best,

Ram

7. richy

richy Member

ive ordered the new 3.2

and hope to keep it for a while as all my other cars have had for a year or less.

but plan hopefully depending on if its avalible later on in years..

to either drop a bigger engine in or add a turbo conversion to it.