1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would a 2.5TDI engine fit into an A3?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by VAGMAN1, Oct 31, 2006.

1. VAGMAN1

VAGMAN1 Member

Always wondered if I could replace the 1.9TDI engine in my A3 with a 2.5.....you'd get quite a fair bit more grunt!

To my mind, it is possible in terms of space as the A4 had the 2.5TDI as well, and the engine bay is pretty much the same size (??)

Anyone know if it's been done or any idea of just how much work would be involved?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. DPM

DPM Site Sponsor
    Site Sponsor

In the A4 the engine is vertical instead of the horizontal in the A3... I'd say it's do able but it wouldn't be easy!

4. icenutter

icenutter Member

It is possible, but only in the sense that nothing is impossible given enough time and money. For starters the A4 and A6 have longitudinal engines and the A3 has transverse...

5. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!
    Staff Member Moderator quattro Audi S3

Depending on which A3 TDI engine you have, a simple remap should be plenty enough torque to get you going.

6. FactionOne

FactionOne Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Yep... With enough time and money there aren't limits per-se...

I'm sure Kim Collins of QST had an RS4 (B5) V6 in an S3 he had for a while?...

...But as said, it would be a BIG job, VERY expensive, and you might as well just get some serious tuning done to your 1.9 with a fraction of the money you would've spent. ...Either that or buy an A4!

Regards,

Rob.