Worth waiting for 63 reg?

RossR

Reaction score
My original estimated delivery date was 9th Sep. However my build has been moved forward 5 weeks now so I could have my hands on it around 5th Aug. Obviously that would mean taking it on a 13 plate. So the question is should I wait? I doubt I could have it bang on 1st Sep as I'm having it prepped by a detailer who wouldn't be able to start until after it was registered.

I'm taking out a 4 year PCP and intend to keep the car up to a year after that. I've got no superstitions over the number 13. In fact it has some sentimental value.

Take it on the new reg, i bought a Mini cooper S D in DEC for the mrs, it was due in Feb but i got them to hold off and got the 13 plate.

I'm not that fussed about the plate. I'd rather have the car sooner, but I'm finding it hard to justify financially.

I'm not that fussed about the plate. I'd rather have the car sooner, but I'm finding it hard to justify financially.

Have the car sooner if you want it. I gave up on this waiting lark years ago!

If you had a lease or PCP, it'd make no difference to the price taking the car now or in two months. That's because over a fixed term there's no difference.

Let's say your A3 depreciates by £350 per month over three years. If you take it now, it'll have cost £700 by September. So when they say the car will be worth £500 less on a different plate, that'd be pretty obvious to me as I'd have been using it while it depreciated! When you come to sell, it'd be worth a few hundred quid more than if you sold two months further on.

Also bear in mind that your current car will be worth less in September.... another couple of months depreciation to factor in.

You'll only really win if your current car is worth peanuts and unlikely to depreciate much in two months... even then it'll be minimal. If the money worried you though, I guess you'd be keeping your current car and not changing to a rather expensive A3. A 2014 63 plate will be worth more again for the sake of another 4 months. In five year's time, the condition will be far more important than the plate.

In my experience, sales people always try and screw you over. It'll be the wrong colour, wrong options, wrong engine, wrong mileage or too popular when the time comes to sell.

Do what YOU want and enjoy it. None of us buy cars to make money!

Reactions: RossR
you say the number 13 has some sentimental value,well maybe this has happened for a reason--maybe your meant to have a 13 reg?:think:

Wait for the plate.

It'll be easier to sell on when the time comes as people who are specifically after a MY14 car (and thus with free DAB etc) will be looking primarily for 63 plates as that guarantees it, whereas a 13 plate wouldn't.

​Personally i would wait the extra few weeks for the 63 plate. :) x

Same here, wait for the 63 plate. But the problem is you know that the car is ready and you want it. Temptation....

My original estimated delivery date was 9th Sep. However my build has been moved forward 5 weeks now so I could have my hands on it around 5th Aug. Obviously that would mean taking it on a 13 plate. So the question is should I wait? I doubt I could have it bang on 1st Sep as I'm having it prepped by a detailer who wouldn't be able to start until after it was registered.

I'm taking out a 4 year PCP and intend to keep the car up to a year after that. I've got no superstitions over the number 13. In fact it has some sentimental value.

I am in a similar position, I took a phone call today to say the car will be available to collect third week of July. After much consideration I have decided to keep the collection date as 1st September. Just one point the 1st is a Sunday I have asked if the dealership will be opening, they said they will get back to me, but their could be a problem as the car needs to be registered on the day of collection with the DVLA, is this correct?? Can anyone see any problems with a Sunday collection? (Apart from the sales rep having to get out of bed)

I collected my car on a sunday from the dealer, they said it was trickier but no real problem. I can't remember off-hand what date my tax disc and V5 say on them!

Don't think so. I collected mine on the 17th of March, and also had a private plate on it. The paperwork was all done during the week beforehand (I think), so all I had to do was sign on the dotted line on the sunday and the car was ready and waiting with the plates ready to go. Best to check with your dealer tomorrow and see what they say, as some dealers may not be so flexible.

I thought most dealerships where open on a Sunday anyway, although it might literally be just two sales staff.

I'm also not sure about getting the car registered for Sept 1st. I would want the car to be registered, fueled, taken a mile down the road to a detailer's and then brought back to the showroom for collection. The detailer will want it for at least 6 hours. I'll have to ask them if it's possible.

If I'm waiting that long I'd like the full new reg day experience! :D

The garage I deal with are normally closed on a Sunday, they would have to do a special opening. The rep. Said quite a few customers have now asked for the Sunday collection, so fingers crossed. It's just the ability to tax / register the car on a Sunday!??

If anyone else is collecting on the 1st, can they check with their dealership and see if they have a problem with this. Thanks.

Wait for the 63 plate mate. Unless you really want it on the earlie date

Thanks for all the input. I think I've decided to wait. I'm expecting an email next week to say it's built, so I'll start discussing a 1st September collection then. I hope it's possible with the detailer doing the prep.

Good choice, dealer called me today and mine is being built this week and available start August but because of holidays etc waiting until 1st September for collection.

Good choice, dealer called me today and mine is being built this week and available start August but because of holidays etc waiting until 1st September for collection.
our cars are being built together...how sweet...we are all waiting for the 63 plate. It will finally be the end of the nearly 6 month wait

...if they had specific weeks for specific colours, which they don't :p

If you are part-ex'ing a car, I wouldn't wait as your trade in car will hit extra depreciation with the new reg (this happened to me). On the other hand, in this specific instance I might be tempted to wait as some people might be reluctant to buy a 13 reg car in the future - a lot of people are still superstitious.

If you are part-ex'ing a car, I wouldn't wait as your trade in car will hit extra depreciation with the new reg (this happened to me). On the other hand, in this specific instance I might be tempted to wait as some people might be reluctant to buy a 13 reg car in the future - a lot of people are still superstitious.

I am part exing but my old car was valued based on a September trade in. I could try to negotiate a higher trade in for giving them it early, but that would be small in comparison to the loss in value of the new car for being on the old plate.

You don't think that a place like Audi have enough paint bays to cover all their major colours?

The link I posted was referring specifically to Audi's Ingolstadt plant. The A3/S3 is available in 15 different non-exlusive colours.