Worse audi experience

Pingoo

Reaction score
hi all

I wanted to get some opinions.

I was booked into a test drive for an a3 sline today. I was told before hand to bring both driving liecense parts and a proof of address utility bill.

I went in and the person only asked for my liecense which they made a copy of my counter part only. I signed the form to agree for test drive but the person didnt go through the form. Its partly my fault i didnt read what i was signing however we inspected the car and there was no marks or fault.
He gave me the keys and said drive about and come back in an hr however he didnt sit in the car. I was puzzled why they just gave me the keys however i just drove about and came back an hour later. I took pictures of the car to send to my bro as he wanted to see what it looked like. There was no marks but when i went inside and retuning back out with the dealer there was a mark on the front bumper and it was cracked. I was shocked and the manager came out. He went through the details and i didnt swear and was calm. He wanted my insurance details however i questioned why as i said i thought it would be through audi insurance. He argued with me saying if i didnt have insurance why did i drive in his words a 30k car? The previous dealer ticked on the test drive document i had my own insurance which on the document it says they must have a copy?

I argued back saying i persumed as its only a test drive it will be covered by them? They crossed off the excess from 500 and wrote 2800!?! I argued im not paying that as your dealer negligence not going through the form with me correctly and he shouldnt of gave me the keys if i didnt have my own insurance. The manager walked off and came back saying ok as a guesture of goodwill we will only charge you for the cracked grill which is £212 inc vat the paint and labour we wont charge you.

I asked if they had cctv outside which he said yes however the person responsible wasnt in till tomorrow. I advised him im not agreeing anything till ive seen the cctv as im 100% sure that damage wasnt caused by me and someone clearly did it parked outside. Hes going to contact me back once viewed however he said it wont matter as it still my fault either way.

Apology for the long post and dodgy spelling. Am i liable paying as i didnt cause a damage plus the test drive document is that in a way invalid as the details are all wrong?

Thanks

Personally I wouldn't pay a penny mate! As you said they didn't fillow process to begin with when you filled out the forms so I would say it's their own fault. If they had followed process and checked the forms in the first place they would have saved themselves and you from this. I would definitely stand your ground with this, might even be worth you giving audi head office a call and getting them involved.

They can't prove you caused any damage because there was no inspection of the vehicle by their salesman or tech. Simple as that. Stand your ground and threaten to get Audi UK involved if he tries it on any further. He can't prove anything.

Worst thing was i was ready to order after test driving :(

I know its a signed contract however they know the test drive contract is wrong as they didnt get my insurance documents confirming I was insured to drive it? Or doesnt that matter?

Ive been told by friends if it ever went to court it would be void cause they didnt follow the correct process but i wasnt sure

I think signed contract or not you should still stand your ground. Following process stands for a lot and the fact they didn't do it I would say they haven't got a leg to stand on. As said above, if they didn't inspect the vehicle beforehand, which would be part of the process, how can they say that you caused the damage and it wasn't already there. cctv will also be able to prove their lack of inspection if it goes that far.

Reactions: mister.c.
Lol worst thing is its actually the highest rated in carwow and plus a lot of positives in this forum about them
You can look on carwow as i dont want to be bad mouthing them

Looks like if i do order an a3 i need to go to another dealer

Baileya3 we did do a brief inspect before hand but the form was signed before going out to inspect. If i did damage it i would have paid but im 100% sure it wasnt me. I guess only way is to check cctv and if that shows no one damanging it its my fault. The whole process today been a rollercoster.

It's easy to get carried away with the excitement of the prospect of a new motor or in this case a test drive. The dealer should know better and follow the correct procedures but as a prospective customer it's important to use your head.

I rang Coventry today about their deals with carwow and anyone would have thought I rang about a £5 key fob...

Didn't have the professionalism or enthusiasm I would have expected and the general politeness which I receive from my dealer in Shrewsbury.

They do have this stunning fit bird working there lol she was special!

Yea blackburn gave better discount however they only gave me quote for a sport not the s line spec

I work in car hire and whats on the contract is final, no ifs no buts as that's what will be referred to in court should it ever go that far. If it stays its driven on your insurance and they don't have a copy/ insurer and policy number then it's tough on their part, how will they ever claim.?

Got a hire car today from my Audi dealer / bodyshop.

All the marks and general condition of the hire car was noted on the form. I agreed it and I signed it as this was correct. All the excesses were shown to me and I initialled to understand them. All this happens after they take a copy of my license.

Every test drive I have ever done with my dealership has had the same process. If I'm not taking it out on my own it's been an accompanied drive with a salesman and trade plates. If I am driving it on my own they never just throw me the keys - they always make me do the same process as today with the hire car.

It's a reassuring experience and I personally feel uneasy if a process isn't followed like my dealer does when taking out a car......

Got a good idea...go to a 'rival' Audi dealer in the area and tell them about this ordeal and that you are keen on a car, but can't do business with the said dealer as you have lost trust. I am pretty sure the other dealer will sort it for you, especially if you are going to place an order....they're absolute cut throats when it comes to sales and don't have inter marque loyalties...anything for a sale.

They'll either agree to repair it themselves, pay for the car repair, or more likely offer you a discount to go to them with your business which could cover the repair....

It's a win win for you as you get one over on the sneaky sods who are trying to do you over and get the costs covered.

This is obviously only applicable if they do keep pushing you for the cost.

Reactions: Dtwm1
Only time i brought a car was 9 years ago when i passed my test and got it brand new. Wasnt sure of all the process which fair enough i should be asking. Im gonna trek to bham see what they can offer me as to be fair im keen on the a3.

After reading the above process nothing of that sorted happened probably my fault as i was eager to drive thr car and not getting the full process completed

Audi need to prove you did the damage.

Insist on seeing CCTV.

Complain to Audi UK.

Highlight again and again they did not explain properly that you were responsible for insurance and that this was very unprofessional.

Stick your ground.

As above, stick your ground, wait for CCTV, and show them the photos you said you took to prove the damage wasn't there. They should be timestamped anyway. Though this does highlight the importance of reading things before you sign them!

I dunno, you don't seem that innocent as your post suggests.

There was no marks but when i went inside and retuning back out with the dealer there was a mark on the front bumper and it was cracked. I was shocked and the manager came out. He went through the details and i didnt swear and was calm.

Who said you weren't calm and didn't swear? Sounds like your conscious is letting stuff out. Perhaps you were taking advantage of the situation and messed up and needed reassurance if you can get out of it.

Either way, if something has been signed then further action can be taken. Will they do it though? Doubtful, probably just blacklist you, then again staff change so much they may forget you the next day.

Food for thought and all that.

Personally, if it was me, and I did cause it, I wouldn't admit it because of how abusive and mistrusting society is when you admit something (i.e. want more, your blood, your bones!!), especially if you signed something. But, I would (without admittance of fault or negligence) pay the £200 odd, get a signed, stamped confirmation letter detailing no further action to be taken....and a receipt.

Only time i brought a car was 9 years ago when i passed my test and got it brand new. Wasnt sure of all the process which fair enough i should be asking. Im gonna trek to bham see what they can offer me as to be fair im keen on the a3.

After reading the above process nothing of that sorted happened probably my fault as i was eager to drive thr car and not getting the full process completed

Instaed of going to b'ham you could always go south, I can personally vouch for Cheltenham Audi (Blade group), there is also worcester that @veeeight uses and I'm sure he can recommend someone there or Stratford-upon-avon Audi also part of the Listers group though.

Reactions: veeeight
Were the pictures taken once you were back in their car park? If so and you can see that there is no damage, then it's obviously happened after you had FINISHED the test drive, which will mean it's down to them to sort out.

When I took the S3 for a test drive he just gave me the keys and off we went...I didn't sign anything and he didn't even ask to look at my licence, hell he didn't even ask if I could drive lol!
BMW however did both and mentioned if I broke anything I'd pay the first £500. As soon as I got back I asked the woman on reception to come and look over the car before I gave her the keys back.