1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried about washing my car

Discussion in 'Detailing - Sponsored by Slim's Detailing' started by S3 Paul, Mar 22, 2010.

1. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Well-Known Member
    Regional Rep

Ive always thought i was quite good at this detailing lark, That was until i decided that my s3 was over due a real good clean,
    I jetted off most of the loose dirt with a jet was and then washed it using the 2 bucket method with a white megs wash mit and dodo super natural shampoo,
    I then rinsed with a hose and dried the car down with an autoglym leather.
    Then i used dodo juice clay and lube to remove the dirty from the paint... i did this one panel at a time and used 4 bits of clay by the time i had done the whole car,
    The car was then pulled inside my unit to get on with the polishing work but when i set up the halogen lamps my life was the paint in a right old state!
    swirls , scratchs... you name it, it was there !
    So i called upon a good mate of mine to come and try and correct the problems...
    After many hours and just as many products and buffing heads the paint was looking good again, Happy days
    So we then added 2 coats of Autoglym SRP and 1 Coat of HDW ( time was marching on )
    The problem is im now afraid to clean the car! have i been doing something basicaly wrong all this time and will i end up messing the paint up again?
    Any help with highlighting what im doing wrong would be great !

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. JD09

JD09 I'm not modding, I'm improving
    VCDS Map User

Most likely cause will be the drying process. Something that people in your position always fail to change :) (no offence :)). Having re-read that sentence, what I mean is people always look at the washing/polishing stages as to procedures being wrong; drying is usually overlooked. Sounded a bit mean the first post around!!

The leather will be killing the paint work, sadly. Micro Fibre drying cloths are a must. Quick hint, now your car beads well (with the HD wax and prep shown above, it should!). Use an open hose over your car once finished as this will allow the water to run off the car, rather than stand and bead. THEN dry by pat drying with a microfibre towel. Personally, the following, but Rich will most likely have some good suggestions from their site as well;

http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/Miracle_Dryer.html

http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/I4D_Uber_Premium_Drying_Towel_1.html

The use of some quick detailer (like Megs no16 Last Touch) is also quite useful to provide some lubrication between the towel and surface.

HTH

JD

#2 JD09, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  4. S3 Paul

Regional Rep

Thanks JD
    I did wonder if the leather was a good idea but its something i have always done.

5. WX51TXR

WX51TXR Polished Bliss

Grab a coffee and read this illustrated guide in full - it covers all of the areas where you are doing things right, but more importantly also picks up on the things you are definitely doing wrong. Whilst the focus is on methods, a few product suggestions are made too...

How to safely wash and dry your car - an illustrated guide >

:icon_thumright:

6. S3 Paul

Regional Rep

A few of my friends have said to get a SONUS 'der wunder' drying towel and a Megs lambs wool wash mit,
    I have a megs drying towel but i always thought it felt rough, Is this normal? Should i be just "patting" the paint dry rather than wipingit?
    Is the megs wash mit as good as others out there?
    Im looking to get these items sorted as soon as possible realy.

7. WX51TXR

WX51TXR Polished Bliss

Both products mentioned are perfectly fine, but not as good as these beauties...

PB Luxury Drying Towel >

Easirider Lambswool Wash Mitt >

We use these two products in our studio on a daily basis, and you've seen the kind of cars we look after and the standards we work to.

The Meguiar's drying towel has always been a poor performer, and it is normal for them to feel rough and hard after only a few uses - note to Meguiar's; get this sorted!

Finally, the guide I linked you to above recommends pat drying over wipe drying, and explains why...

:sm4:

8. JD09

VCDS Map User

I agree on the PB towel, although there are some very similar products out there, so pick and choose.

The washmitts have always been OK for me. I have also used the Swissvax Waschpudel which was excellent;

http://www.swissvax.co.uk/products/wash-products.asp

9. S3 Paul

Regional Rep

Well thanks for the responce,
    Ive just ordered the products from polished bliss...
    Heres to a swirl reduced future !

10. JD09

VCDS Map User

Good stuff, another 5% commission Rich will be paying me then . . .