Working Hours

filipharvey

Amusing Tagline
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me if there is a limit on the amount of time you can spend at work before having sleep?

I only ask, as I work on a Chicken farm (eeeeeuuuuuurrrrghhhhh!!!- pays the bills) and when the birds are being caught, we can spend up to a week at work without returning home and with only a few hours sleep. Infact I have only just got home now (19:00) from 60 hours work, 3 hours sleep, and have to be back at midnight for another 9 or 10 hours - no sleep!

Not too bothered about breaks, dont really do much when I'm there, its just i HAVE to stay awake for pretty much the whole time I'm at work!

Legally they can't make yu work more than a 40 hour week without you signing an agreement anyway. This was a new EU law a few years back. As for how many hours they can make you work without sleep, I don't know but I would call Health and safety because after about 12 hours without sleep you are a danger to yourself and the people you work with.
I wouldn't let you work for me after that time!

You're entitled to a break of not less than 20 minutes for every 6 hours worked IIRC. If you leave work, you should not have to return for a minimum of 11 hours (i.e. you have a break of 11 hours between shifts).

This link to the Direct.gov website might give you a few more pointers.

Yeh, thats kinda what I'm getting at. If I was to be involved in any kind of accident, it would be their fault- even if it was mine if you get me?

You have a right not to return to work within 11 hours - as stated in one or both of the links above.

So basically I could just say I wont go back until I have been gone for 11 hours then.

Good info there, quite a few things I'm not getting, which I should!

The EU working time directive states that the limit on hours worked is 48 hours per week unless you choose to opt out, I've just had to sign something today about it.

There's also the 48hour week rule - you can work more than this in one week but you have to have opted out, of your own volition and in writing to your employer. It can't be applied to the whole workforce as it's an individual decision and the employer isn't (supposedly) allowed to penalise you if you refuse to opt out. You're also entitled to at least 24hrs off in any 7 day period or at least 48 hours in any 14 day period. This doesn't include days off on leave or sickness though.

All this is in the links above or, if you can be bothered to read it the Working Time Regulations Statutory Instrument!

EDIT: ^^^ Sinny beat me to it!! ^^^