Work out bhp ?

thegoal007

Another S3 owner....
Reaction score
I have a 'standard' 225bhp engine S3 and have read in the past somewhere in this forum that you can work out approximately the BHP churned out using maf + lamda (?) readings from vagcom.

Simply, can someone explain how to do it and what is the formula ?

This is is just moving forward to expand my knoweldge using vagcom- currently only using shareware version, but hopefully by end of week and $99 lighter a fully functional 4.901 verison.

a rough estimate, which people claim is fairly accurate on the 1.8T engines, is the MAF reading /0.8

So for a 225, you're looking for a maf reading of around 180g/s

Do you mean it's a simple as that ? So I should start logging the maf, speed, rpm readings when I'm on the motorway and rev to the max on each gear and see what my highest maf reading is at the top end of each rpm/gear ?

All the readings I need are available n the shareware version !

where did you get the shareware version from? Cant you just do it on one gear. Ive heard of 4 being used a lot?

Dont do it every gear, you will be twice over the speed limit if you hit redline in every gear lol.

Put it in 4 at 2000 rpm and keep your foot down till redline. My 210 records a max of 180 g/s which gives 225 bhp using the calculation above :-}

Yeh the higher you rev it the higher the g/s reading seems to be. Took mine upto 6240rpm this time and got 201g/s.

Ooh, can't wait to try it....maybe on one of those so-called 'private roads' I keep hearing about on this forum !

emery1990, shareware version was taken from the ross-tech web site. It's the 409.1US version, but I have also tried the 409.1S version and that works fine too. Bearing in mind I am using it with a cheepo dumb dongle/usb bought from an auction web site. The cable did come with the CD, but I chose to use a known source for the software !

MintyS3, if 180g/s is 225bhp , my simple match makes your 201g/s to be pushing 250bhp.

block 120 also gives what ecu thinks going on torque wise also..
bhp=(torque in lbft x rpm) divide 5252

compare that to you g/s log

log 003 and 120 and comapre

block 120 also gives what ecu thinks going on torque wise also..
bhp=(torque in lbft x rpm) divide 5252

compare that to you g/s log

log 003 and 120 and comapre

Here we go , a useful formula. Now that's what I was after. Unfortunately my shareware version does not allow me to view log 120. I am waiting for the extra ram on my laptop before requesting activation and I'll give it a go.

emery1990, you are correct you will need a cable !

Interestingly, the ross-tech web site is a bit confusing when trying to determine which one to download. Under the section for modern "dumb" interfaces one says it doesn't support USB interface and the other says not for third party interfaces and for twin-usb interface.

Well, the general one you buy from auction is not ross-tech one so it's classed as 3rd party (I presume) and they are usb....so by my reckoning you cannot use either.

I can tell you both work. I've tried them both.