wont connect

mainer

Mountain biker
Reaction score
I just got 311.2n and cant get it to connect to my car. It seems to want to use com port 3, and says its connected but when I go to "auto-scan" it tells me it's not connected. I think it may be connecting to my onboard modem, But how do I change this? I cant even activate it till it connects to the car. I got my cable on Ebay.

Any other Ideas?

Thanks COoper

i had that problem with an aftermarket stereo with k-lines , the harness adapter was for pre-'97 but i needed post-'97 which takes into account these lines on '97 and later models. unless yours is a canbus like on 2003 a3's then you need the canbus cable check ross-tech.com

There are postings about this on many forums. Basically, the aftermarket cables have problems communicating unless you get into the setup of the computer to deal with the COM ports. Sorry but that is as far as I go on this.

Might I suggest you go back to the guy who sold the cable and see if they will give you some support?

-Bruce-
Ross-Tech,LLC
bruce@Ross-Tech.com

bearthebruce said:
There are postings about this on many forums. Basically, the aftermarket cables have problems communicating unless you get into the setup of the computer to deal with the COM ports. Sorry but that is as far as I go on this.

Might I suggest you go back to the guy who sold the cable and see if they will give you some support?

-Bruce-
Ross-Tech,LLC
bruce@Ross-Tech.com

PS: In fact, this is discussed in another thread right here. Please search and read that thread.

B

I did surch, but didn't find anything like my problem. Many that were kind of like it, but nothing with my issues.

I did get it to connect to the car. Thanks for the help

Cooper

You are saying that this thread has nothing in it that is similar to help?
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=26494

I mean this text doesn't address your problem with COM port 3?

thadeak said:
Hi icenutter,

thanks for the reply.

I tried changing the port number in the device manager, the only free port was COM1. However within the VAG-COM software when i test the connection, only port 3 works no matter what. well when i say works, it says it has found the lead.
So even when i tell the lead to be on com1 in the device manager it is still showing up on port 3 in VAG-COM.

very strange.

Deak

Well, as I said, contact your supplier for some help. If they can't help and these threads do not help, I'm not sure where to send you.

Best,