Wondering what your 1/4 mile times are!!!!

nicklght

Imthegod
Reaction score
Alright everyone was wondering what everyones quarter mile times are, i went to santa pod over the weekend and i had 6 runs over 3 days.

My best run was 14.122 @ 98mph i thought this was quite good considering im a 1/4 mile virgin so i couldnt get the launch right at the start until my mate told me what to do!

I have got a few videos so will try and post them soon.
:undwech:
My car is a 2001 S3 with a Mrc custom remap, milltek exhaust, forge Tip and running on goodyear F1's

Was wondering if people would post there times and videos!!!!!!

Thanks everyone

I think a couple of people here do that quarter mile thing.

Whats the deal with it then? Go on amber as by the time the signal reaches your brain its green? That kinda thing?

Never done it myself....

14.8 @94mph measured with a gmeter on as level a bit of road as i could find.

standard 225

i think Sitrials ran a 14.13 with a very similar spec to yours nick.....

itll be interesting to see what the ko3S A3 does it in..... if its faster in a straight line than a remapped S3, but doesnt have the grip for a launch....

My car on P Zeros just doesnt have the grip for a standing start based speed to match the likes of an S3.

The S3 would be faster by a significant amount I reckon.

From a rolling start, now that would be a different matter...

ANDYTQ said:
Or maybe a ko3s quattro?

yea, but your back to square 1 on the weight issue with the quattro.... its the massive weight saving on the fwd system that helps the ko3S A3 be so quick in a straight line.

isnt the TQ almost as heavy as the S3?

Avon park raceway, 13.27 at 109.65mph. 13.6s at 106mph are fairly consistent, but with some scary clutch sidestepping, managed to get the above.

So whats the deal with this sprint thing then?

Surely anything supercharged will destroy any turbo cars, so its a pointless excercise?

Plus one that damages clutches?

Dave_Bayern said:
So whats the deal with this sprint thing then?

Its a measure of the cars straight line performance, and once yove had a few goes an drivers skill has been taken out the equation you can see how your car measures up.

Thats like saying whats the point in a manufacturer stating a cars 0-60 time, but id want to know before buying. 1/4mile time is a far better measure of performance too.

Dave_Bayern said:
Surely anything supercharged will destroy any turbo cars, so its a pointless excercise?

what??!!!

Last time i looked, an s3 is quicker than a supercharged cooper s

Oh OK, I see the 0-60 comparison and understand it a bit more now. The Americans do 1/4 mile instead of 0-60 and they know a lot more about cars than we do, after all, Henry Ford was an American.

Like for like, Supercharged cars are generally faster, you are comparing a 1.6L supercharged car that weighs more than the S3 to a lighter car with larger displacement.

There are very few supercharged engines with 1.8 (small) Cubic capacity, but the point I was making is that due to the nature of a supercharger, and its lack of lag, it would mean a much faster 1/4 mile than a similar turbo car even if the turbo car was ultimately faster in normal driving.

So what are the tips for doing this kind of thing, how do you ensure a good take off etc?

How does a Cooper S weigh more than an S3?

IIRC, its around the 1140KGs.

The turbo lag doesnt play much of a part as your generally launching at medium to high revs anyway.

According to the first couple of Google results the gross weight of a Mini Cooper S is 1500Kg. I also remember reading its near enough the same weight as a Ford Focus.

Regardless, the Cooper is a 1.6, and as the saying goes:

Theres no replacement for displacement.

Dave I aint trusting those google weights........you say your 18T A3 is 1090kg or whatever......but the Ibiza's are 1200 odd??

I know it says on google, but not sure they are correct!

a 1500kg mini, thats got to be the funniest thing ive heard in ages.

Apart from maybe that a 1.8T weighs 1090KGs!! Think there's around 100Kg's missing from that number.

i think the 1096 A3 weight is obviously wrong, but im certain the new mini weighs a ton, i seem to remember it was well over 1400kg.

the A3's definately ligther than the mk4 golf though, although an ibiza? methinx not.

My car has been on a weighbridge 1225Kg.

Its common knowledge that the new mini is very heavy, even top gear made a big deal about it, I know this and I dont even have a TV.

You're arguing a moot point, a supercharged car with the same displacement is generally far superior to a turbo driven car.

So this sprint thing, how is it all done?

but they've already said that due to launching at revs where any charger lag is negated, you've got rid of the advantage of the supercharger, meaning that the turbo is likey to be better, since it's not sapping power from the engine

Ah ok, I don't really understand this quarter mile stuff.

In which case, a lightened flywheel would massively help yes?

BaBs said:
the turbo is likey to be better, since it's not sapping power from the engine

Hit the nail right on the head there. Some of the big chargers need at least 100bhp just to turn them! ( although in saying that turbos do sap some power, and how much a small charger takes away, i dont know)

As for this mini weight rubbish, they weigh around 1200kGs. The 1500KGs people are refering to is probably the max permissible weight.

That would work out at roughly 110bhp/ton and a 0-60 of almost 10secs, i dont think so somehow.

the mk2, not sure if that was out in 2006, is a bit lighter but thats the turbo one, not the supercharged one.

No-one said the Mini was better!!!!!!

AAAARGH.

So back to the point, what do people do to do these 1/4 mile things? Lightened flywheel? Larger profile wheels?

dont mix up sprinting and 1/4 mile! sprinting is fun, it has corners! Like draggin but around a course! good laugh!