1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woman with Advanced Key Audi:- "I nearly died!"

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by misthills, Jan 9, 2014.

1. misthills

misthills Member

Woman locked inside Audi Q3 on 41-degree day

Ok, so a little melodramatic but it was 41 degrees celsius outside.

I hadn't previously given this scenario much though but may just need to re-read the procedures for overriding the 'advanced key'. Can anyone think of a scenario where this would happen in your A3/S3. I might have a play later today and see if I can find a situation where I can lock myself in (with someone near by with the spare key)! :)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. J6YAK

J6YAK Well-Known Member

Technology is great is'nt it!!

4. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

I don't think this has anything to do with the advanced key, the 'safelock' is on all cars, advanced key or not. I managed it myself briefly, just press unlock on the key again!

PilotAudi likes this.
  5. misthills

misthills Member

I think the problem is that if you have an advanced key and the key isn't recognised then you can't use the key to unlock, or start the ignition, which are the preconditions for deactivating the safelock.

Do you know what the conditions for triggering the safelock are? If she managed to get into the car, why would the car lock the doors?

6. cemerson

The key still has the remote buttons which would still be recognised, assuming the batteries are all good.

I can't remember how I managed to trigged safelock, but it wasn't hard to sort out.

7. royalsteve68

royalsteve68 Active Member

its why I still think automated cars are a pipedream - hell we cant even make computers that don't require reboots every now and then and weve had more than 40 years to perfect that

8. snowfree52

snowfree52 Full LED baby !

come on, 41°C and after a couples of minutes she was strugging to breathe ? BS

Sometimes I work the whole day on rooftops and temps can go as high as 50°C

9. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

Non story really, never known this to happen and over melodramatic for the media/social networking...

10. thedooker

thedooker Active Member

Well according to the A3/S3 owners manual if the car doesn't start (in the event of the battery running out or electrical interference) there is a bit in the dash that you hold your key against and the car will start. You then have to see an engineer.

My bet is that she didn't get told this and never read up on it.

I fail to see that a a company like Audi would only allow one option for unlocking the doors.

11. JohnM100

JohnM100 #teamSepang
    Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

Darwin Award candidate?

12. mjcourtney

mjcourtney Well-Known Member

So the only thing she tried to do was wind the windows down and open the doors, and when that didn't work she panicked? Granted, if the car was in the sun in 40 degree heat then the temperature inside the car would start to climb rapidly which would add some stress, but the first thing I would do in this situation is RTFM.

Regardless, there are many other options for getting out of the car which would (and did) happen before she was ever in any serious trouble, so i'm really not sure how this is news worthy... at all! Media hype....

13. snowfree52

snowfree52 Full LED baby !

I know someone died in an Audi last year in France. link here : traduced from French : Google Traduction

14. cemerson

And yet apparently someone was able to get into the car from the outside... she can't have tried very hard!

Strikes me that she was messing around or pressed the lock button or something, and claimed it just did it by itself because she it's easier to blame 'evil technology' or some such nonsense.

Can't say it worries me in the slightest about having the advanced key!

15. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

'Evil technology with a mind of its own', I must get that several times a day as a IT Technician, I sometimes think they might be referring to me....

cemerson likes this.