Woerthersee 2005

japenger

Reaction score
Hi all, I need your help I'm afraid !

Some friends and me are going to Worthersee for the first time this year and I could do with some advice if any of you have been before.

Whats the best route to go? We live in Bournemouth on the south coast so there are 4 options I think.

1. Go Dover to Calais on the ferry (cheaper crossing/longer drive)
2. Eurotunnel (OK price/longer drive)
3. Harwich to Belgium ferry (medium crossing time/medium drive)
4. Harwich to Germany ferry (very long ferry crossing/shorter drive)

So what option do you guys think is best. Dover ferry/Eurotunnel is nearer to us than Harwich but means a very long drive in Europe, but its a 19 hour ferry crossing to Germany from Harwich (£97 per person return with cabin on the ferry)??

Also been to the Worthersee web page But I only speak english so have no idea what it says !!
Anybody now how much entry and camping is? Do you have to buy tickets/camping in advance.

Any help would be very greatfully received

Thanks
Paul.

Car lover will take short crossing and make most of Autobahns in Germany /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So don't take the long ferry crossing, do the whole autobahn thing.

If I was looking at speed then I'd take the seacat from Harwich to Hoek van Holland and then a 2.5 hour drive to the german border and then let rip......but the seacat is more expensive but only takes just under 4 hours, and is a service I use frequently to go between here (Holland) and the UK.

Dover -> Calais is your best bet, do it at night then you have a nice clear run, German Autobahns are very quiet during the night so its one long cruise, should take you about 7 hours during the night if you take the [censored], 10 hours during the day....

www.ferrysale.com is cool for cheap ferry crossing, usually about 50 quid return.

Also, the tickets are €36 if you buy them now or €40 after the 18th of Feb.

As far as camping goes, it doesnt say anything about camping, just says make sure you find somewhere to stay before you buy tickets......

we went in 1999 and 2000, its an experience you will never forget. we incorporated it into a 16 day european rampage.
2 cars 2 people in each car, both were Golf2 G60's running well over 220bhp each, what a laugh!!

points you need to know about

1. unless you get there a couple of days earlier than its meant to start you will have trouble getting a pitch on a campsite, dont even think about a room as this is like the IOM TT Races where people book for the next year before they leave this time. we stayed at a nudist campsite DONT WORRY ITS OPTIONAL, they put us in a discreet corner where we wernt offended by any BRAUTWURST!!
if you would like some info feel free to contact me. the rates were very cheap per night, and providing your not a stereotypical english thug they welcome you with open arms.

the 2nd and the most important point if you ask me, Worthersee is the main lake that the show is based around, although there are a few smaller gatherings at Velden and another i cant remember the name of the bulk of the action is in Reifnitz itself, this is a tiny village and you CANNOT drive into it unless you have a ticket (willy wonka bars spring to mind) this is policed by some seriously scary gendarms (spelling is crap sorry)with automatic firearms. they only issue 500 tickets each year due to congestion so unless you get one of these its walkies im afarid. there is small road train that ferries all the unlucky (or not so prepared) attendies but its slow as hell and the wait is mind numbing by the looks of it. i say by the looks of it cos we got a ticket both times we went, i cant for the like of me remember the name of the place we got them from but if you wanted to know i could eaily explain it to you, as once you have arrived there its pretty easy to get your bearings.

GUMMIES
do NOT under any circumstance get carried away with the moment and cave into the crowds, at night they swarm round the cars screaming GUMMIE GUMMIE, they want you to light the tyres up while they restrain the car for you, 1 you will kill your tyres and 2 the nasty, sneaky, horrible, theiving scumbag coppers wait just up the road in hiding so once you drive away with big grin on your face they pull you over and rip 60 quid from your wallet while laughing at you for being so stupid. BELIEVE ME I KNOW!

good luck to you and enjoy the trip, to all of you who havnt been all i can say is..... you will never ever attend a show anywhere else in the world like this one.

make sure you get your piccy taken with the granite Golf2 and post it here for all to see and be jealous of.

The Granite Golf ...... I remember it well. I was there the year it was towed down the main street on a sledge by hundreds of GTI nutters. It was 1987 I think. I went from then until 1990, usually from Dover to Ostend arriving in Belgium at 2.00am and arriving in Reifnitz mid-afternoon after a leisurely drive through Germany at anything up to 140mph and stopping only for fuel and coffee.
In those days we just knew it as 'The Treffen' and it was the best excuse on the planet to stay absolutely rat-***** until it was time to drive home.
Without a doubt the best ever celebration of the Golf GTI that's ever been held, makes anythig in the UK look like a vicar's tea party. If you've never been, sell your soul to go once in your lifetime....
When we came back after the first trip we were so knocked out we founded Club GTI!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Me and a mate bumped into this on our way back from Bosnia/Croatia on bikes. Fantastic location/atmosphere. Great bands, cars and bars. Worrying amount of broken Vdubs in ditches and some scary overtaking. The autobahn thing is worth it though there is less and less de restricted than there used to be and more radar but that doesn't really apply on UK plates. Hop through the Nurburgring near Mayern if you have time......

My lass is German so if you have specific questions on the web site and you cant get a translation, give me a shout..........

Rick

[ QUOTE ]
Tubtub, I'm not stalking you from the Diesel forum........

Rick

[/ QUOTE ]
****** hell.... I thought I wuz safe 'ere....!

doesnt involve women n beer!!

think again my mate...... when you get there look for the naked ladies on the cheery picker and raiser platform next to the "entertainment" tent. yeeeeha!!

I haven't been there since 1990. Now I know why.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm going plus 8 other cars and where off this Saturday for 10 days.

What might be good if we all swap numbers and all meet up there on a said given day.

Was hopping to take my Audi A4 1.8TQ with it 95% OEM RS4 body but its not going to be ready in time so I got to take the Audi A4 2.8Q Supercharged in stead.

it would be nice for those who went to let us know how they got on, did our info help etc

[ QUOTE ]
it would be nice for those who went to let us know how they got on, did our info help etc

[/ QUOTE ]

yup and post pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

yes but please dont post any of the nasty poledancers will you!! (wink wink)

What are the dates for 2006?

Also Docurley could you post up a break down of the cost. Like petrol, accomodation etc.

As a mate and i have been discussing going.

We can get the ferry from here over to belgium and them drive down.

Stopping at the ring on either the way there or back.

Cheers.

Dates I'm leaving are 20th May coming back to the UK 29th leaving Velden on the 28th May.

It will be 1bout 1.5 days driving with a stop over and some cheap inn.

Euro Tunnel £115 return.
About £50 for tolls Return may be less
stop over about £25-40
Accomadation 500-700 euro's each
Petrol about 3.5 tank loads each way.
Then add food.

This is the Hotel and if you do want to go and tag with me and my mates let me know.

carinthia-hotel.at

carinthia2.jpg

Euro booking times you need to get.

<font color="red"> Going out | Standard | Folkestone to Calais | 20/05/2006
(local time) | Check-in time 04:23 - Departure time 04:53 - Arrival time 06:28
| GBP 57.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coming back | Standard | Calais to Folkestone | 29/05/2006
(local time) | Check-in time 13:03 - Departure time 13:33 - Arrival time 13:08
| GBP 72.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
</font>

I`m going this year for the first time, taking a detour to The Ring on the way!

We`re going Sunday-Sunday, driving all the way in two VR`s and a 20v Mk2. No way are we campin either

Lookin forward to it already, only decided three days ago

R.I.P VW Mania