Wishbones

Vetinar1

Reaction score
Car: A3 1.8T Quattro Sport 2001 (Y reg)

Just got back from garage after getting an ABS sensor fixed and the mechanic said he took it for a quick run after fixing it and noticed I had some movement in my front wishbones. The car has been feeling quite skittish at speed (circa the national speed limit, maybe a touch over but not by a lot oh no no no) recently and hasn't been handling anywhere near as well.
I have read a few posts here about wishbones and bushes and what not. My mechanic is quite happy for me to purchase the wishbones (only my OSF one seems to be skewed but he suggests getting both done at the same time...) and i imagine new bushes are required too (those S3 ones I've seen mentioned somewhere sound good {not polybush [whatever the f they are???]})?

Just really after some info, cost of wishbones/bushes (finding it difficult to locate new prices, don't want used), whether there is a "preferred" brand or what, any extra info is good info. I'm afraid when it comes to cars I just like driving em, not fiddling with em.

So, well, thanks any for info in advance. :thumbsup:

Replace both at the same time, the front lower track arms should come with the bushes, and get a 4 wheel allignment/tracking done after.

if i was you id go for originals VAG items.think they are around £51+ VAT per side for the wisbones or £18 for the bushes on there own per side
while your at it,you might aswell do the ARB bushes,link arm,ball joints and tie rod ends
from experience in the past,i would steer clear of aftermarket items such as GSF/Eurocarparts etc for the sake of a few quid

bad/cheap quality and can cause other problems
also they dont last 5 mins compared to original items
complete waste of time and money if you ask me
youll end up doing them 2-3 times at least compared to if you fit original items.

Steer clear of poly bushes. Fit the OEM rubber bush at the front of the wishbone, but use the solid rubber mount from the S3/TT for the rear of he wishbone.

If you are feeling brave you could seam weld the wishbone for extra strength and rigidity. Some tuning companies offer seam welded items off the shelf.

Yes fit genuine VAG wishbones. The alternatives simply dont last.

I had problems with my wishbones too. I was getting annoying squeeking over bumps.

A local independant garage said to replace both my wishbones.
However, the dealer said to just replace the bushes. They push out the old ones and press the new ones in. Squeeking gone.

So if your wishbones are fine, then you could just replaces the bushes. Most decent garages should be able to press them out.

from experience in the past,i would steer clear of aftermarket items such as GSF/Eurocarparts etc for the sake of a few quid

for most parts, yes im with you but c'mon its a rubber bush :racer:

its not just the bushes im referring to.
the quality and strengh of the metal they use for the wishbones themselves is poor quality.
you want wishbones to be as strong as possible hence people get them seam welded for extra strengh
vag original items are of a good quality and are built to last not some flimsy wishbone poor quality item knocked up in Timbucktoo
buying non vag items is false economy if you ask me but its your choice at the end of the day
youll buy at least 2 in the time a original will last and if your paying to have them fitted,thats 2 lots of fitting costs as well as the wisbones themselves.
you can buy the bushes for around 18 notes per side from Audi/vag and press the old ones out which is a cheaper alternative as long as the original wishbone itself is ok.

and the best bit is you can do it on a vice using a couple of large sockets, no press needed

Thanks all for your help, I know what I'm after now and hope to get it done this week.