1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wishbones, to replace or not to replace?!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by nky_84, Sep 2, 2009.

1. nky_84

nky_84 6th Gear

Hi guys,

I'm led to believe that there are a few options here. Replace the alloy arms with cheapo steal jobbies, replace just the bushes (how many each side?), or the replace the entire wishbones.

What do most folks go for, what are the costs involved for each, anyone tried a local motor factors for price / fitment? Anyone gone the bushes route and found it to be a PITA?

Nick
  2. Purple Princess

Purple Princess Moderator Staff Member Moderator

2 bushes pr side on the front wishbones. You can use TT non voided bushes for a cheap upgrade on the rear wishbone bush, or you could go the whole hog and put powerflex on there. Standard ones will be about £40 and powerflex about £140. Fitment is easy as long as you have acces to a vice and general workshop tools (especially a hammer lol)
  3. nky_84

nky_84 6th Gear

thanks, its just the fronts needing done for now. Have access to vice etc so think im gonna take on some bush action!
  4. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Trust me, do all of the bushes on the arm, Stacie was saying that the front wishbone has 2 bushes, the front one is pretty solid anyway, but the rear one has voids in it, the upgraded TT one does not, just as well do them all at the same time.
    Voided bushes
    [​IMG]
    Non voided bushes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  5. The Doctor

The Doctor Active Member

I've just had mine replaced with Powerflex bushes - front and rear of the front wishbones. Much tighter now, drives like new. Cost me £50 more than the standard ones fitted. Couldn't quote you a price for this alone because it was together with a cambelt/water pump replacement & some other bits & pieces. :scared2:

Definitely do front & rear bushes (of the front wishbones) at the same time.

My rear wishbone bushes are still fine.

2003 66k miles.

Paul.
  6. nky_84

nky_84 6th Gear

Just doing my bushes today and the bolt that goes through the front wishbone, rear bush seems to be a rattling fit even in the new bush. Is this right, or should it be a tight fit around the bush! Has the previous owner used the wrong bolt perhaps?

Nick