Wish me luck...

Well after 7 weeks and not a word I emailed HR on Monday night when I was on duty and tagged it so I knew it would be delivered and read,finally got the standard knockback letter.Not even an apology for the length of time in getting back to me.

Sorry to hear this Markos, just keep plugging away mate, just remember if you are not getting where you want to be in the current company there are other places you can look at, I ended up doing that after a good few years.

@markos72 sorry to hear this Mark. Keep trying or maybe consider looking elsewhere. :) x

Thanks guys,appreciate it. Had a look at other rail related companies but not recruiting for my skills right now. Just need to grin and bear it and consider my options

Well,here we go again,applied for another 2 different posts,interviews pending.
One is mobile ops manager/incident officer based in Edinburgh,still on shifts but also doing on call,the other is office based.
I know the recruiting manager for the ops manager post and he has said feel free to pop through for a visit and informal chat on my rest day if I like.
Waiting to see if I get through the initial sift before I take up his offer of a visit :)

Passed over again for both jobs,maybe it's time to move on in another direction.Have applied for a post with BT Openreach,as an engineer.Anyone know anyone who works for Openreach?

Time to call it a day over there then mate by the looks of it. I wouldnt apply for anymore roles for a while, as they will then think that you are not interested in your role and will look bad on you, even though you are trying to progress and move on, they wont see it like that especially if you keep getting a no!!

Unfortunately dont know anyone for OR, but im hoping someone will be able to help, also if you have a look there is a sticky for what job do you do, you may be able to tap info off someone in there.

Wee resurrection of this thread-after a long time trying got a call from HR this morning offering me a post in possession and worksite planning.Needless to say I'm taking the post-Mon-Fri and my own bed at night? No brainer...will take a hit on wages but its manageable right now.

Reactions: THQuattro and Sandra
Wee resurrection of this thread-after a long time trying got a call from HR this morning offering me a post in possession and worksite planning.Needless to say I'm taking the post-Mon-Fri and my own bed at night? No brainer...will take a hit on wages but its manageable right now.
Wow, fantastic news Mark. So happy for you. Enjoy:) xx

Thanks Sandra-think 26 years of long shifts,working weekends and holidays is enough...just need a release date and hope my line manager isnt a pain in the **** about it

Reactions: Sandra
Thanks Sandra-think 26 years of long shifts,working weekends and holidays is enough...just need a release date and hope my line manager isnt a pain in the **** about it
You deserve a medal Mark. Hope your line manager is not a pain. Be good for you to have more family time and get to go and watch more Motorsport as well:) x

Reactions: markos72
Very true Sandra,not expecting official notification until Tuesday now as its an English bank holiday weekend,our HR is based in Manchester.Then just need to get released by my manager.Hopefully soon so I can get settled and get on with the job.
Post is in George Square,and no travel expenses as I have a duty train pass :)

Very true Sandra,not expecting official notification until Tuesday now as its an English bank holiday weekend,our HR is based in Manchester.Then just need to get released by my manager.Hopefully soon so I can get settled and get on with the job.
Post is in George Square,and no travel expenses as I have a duty train pass :)
That's excellent. I be looking you up when I'm in George square and go for coffee at greggs on the corner (they have nice cakes) X

The Burger King was closed while Queen Street was closed for the rail improvements,dunno if theres any plans to re-open it :(

Lol, it be coffee in a plastic cup at this rate Mark. I'm rarely at the queen street side I usually walk straight through the middle.

Just read through the whole thread wish you the best of luck hope it all goes smoothly after all the knock backs you've had @markos72

Reactions: markos72 and Sandra
Cheers,though HR are dragging their heels over my official appointment notification.Over a week and nothing from them yet-hopefully my new manager for the next 6 months (at least) is on the case.Hasn't been the highest of priorities this week,as Sandra knows other events have taken over since last Sunday

Cheers,though HR are dragging their heels over my official appointment notification.Over a week and nothing from them yet-hopefully my new manager for the next 6 months (at least) is on the case.Hasn't been the highest of priorities this week,as Sandra knows other events have taken over since last Sunday
Yes Mark. I will catch up with you later for an update. Hope your all ok?

Things are going ok,thanks.On nights this weekend which I could well do without to be honest

Finally got my formal offer letter from HR,it's only taken 3 weeks...just a case of the 2 line managers negotiating a transfer date now.

Reactions: rasA4, Sandra and jojo
Finally got my formal offer letter from HR,it's only taken 3 weeks...just a case of the 2 line managers negotiating a transfer date now.
excellent news hopefully the managers move more swiftly now

Still don't know exactly how long I'll be in the post for as its only a secondment.Hopefully get a good run at it :)

Finally got my release date now,final nightshift for the foreseeable future is 25th October :)
Also got an email today about a working at heights refresher course I was due to attend next March- course cancelled,not required....looks like they're not expecting me back on the tools lol

Reactions: rasA4
Finally got my release date now,final nightshift for the foreseeable future is 25th October :)
Also got an email today about a working at heights refresher course I was due to attend next March- course cancelled,not required....looks like they're not expecting me back on the tools lol
Good to finally have a date Mark. :) x

woo hoo

Reactions: markos72 and Sandra
A bit of stability now Sandra,and other family issues can be planned and dealt with now :)

God our HR can be hopeless at times-finally got my final confirmation start date-31st October-but that's it.I know where and who to report to but no start time.....cheers guys,I'll just swan in when I feel like it :laughing:

Got a hold of my new line manager-nice wee 9am start for my first day-said to him I was a bit nervous,told me not to be and they were looking forward to me joining the team...

Reactions: Ghost
Got a hold of my new line manager-nice wee 9am start for my first day-said to him I was a bit nervous,told me not to be and they were looking forward to me joining the team...
Mark you will be fine. It's only natural to be a bit nervous. Look forward to hearing how you get on, :) x

Reactions: Ghost and markos72
2 weeks in and reasonably settled now-the lass who's training me up is confident I'll be ready to go solo with the job,especially as she's supposed to be moving on to another post herself.
Getting in to a better sleep routine/pattern too now-was tough the first week as I was having to take in and digest a lot of information and use of different planning systems so was in bed by 10pm every night then waking at 430am.Now after 2 weeks I'm managing to sleep until just before my alarm goes off at 645.
They're a good team to work with,plenty laughs through the day,but ultimately the work gets done :)
All in all a good experience so far

Reactions: Sandra, Ghost and jojo
As of next Monday I'm flying solo-dealing with and processing all track access applications from Glasgow Central all the way down the west coast to the border.....between the 2 of us we're actually a week ahead,thatll all change from next week :)

Well,been in the post 6 weeks and all going well-got a bit frantic today with having to shuffle things about for an emergency blockage tomorrow-cue plenty phone calls and authorisation emails bouncing about but nothing I couldn't handle.
My line manager told me yesterday that another post is to be advertised as full time instead of a secondment and would I be interested in applying-when I said yes he gave me the thumbs up and a few other members of the team are pushing for me to apply too.
It'll mean a few changes to my contract if I do get offered-I think I may still have to go through the interview process as they have to be seen to be following procedure but if/or it does come to that it'll mean more stability and I'll know better where I stand.
Overall it's a pleasant experience working office hours-home at night and weekends,and not trudging about out on the Network on all weathers fault finding.
Coming from a faulting/mtce background has definitely stood me in good stead coming into this position-a wealth of experience in dealing with safety plans from the other side of the fence and being able to apply that to my position now

Reactions: jojo and Brasso
Wee update as its been a while-had an interview 4 weeks ago for the permanent position,and after some to-ing and fro-ing (HR were involved due to other issues reegarding another candidate) I'm pleased to say I was offered the permanent post on Friday,verbally and HR paperwork pending.
This means a lot to me and my team as they all hoped I would get it,enjoy working with them and it also means between my line manager and myself we can work out long term objectives and goals now to become a more inclusive and adaptable member of the team...

Reactions: Nilz, jojo and Ghost
Well done @markos72 you worked hard for it.
e00e.png

Thanks peeps-just need to sort salary now as I'm going on to role clarity,my main manager said I will probably stay on my current salary plus a bit extra as I'm losing shift allowances.
I can also start to work on career development and long term objectives now too,my first ever performance review is in June