1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wiring in electrics?

Discussion in 'General Technical / How To' started by BahnStormer77, Feb 20, 2009.

1. BahnStormer77

BahnStormer77 BahnStormer

Where is the best point to splice off a spare power line?

Previously, in my Mk3 Golf, I just used to pull out a non-essential fuse (interior lights, etc) and then stuff a stripped wire in the one side and then push the fuse back in (obviously making sure whatever I had wired in was also fused) and then I'd wire the ground to a grounding point on the metal structure under the dash (near the fuse box).

I knwo this is hardly the "recommended route", but I was wanting to see what the recommended method for wiring in something on the Audi A4 would be. Anybody got any diagrams / how-to's that would point me in the right direction? I jsut need a few photo's to see where to get started.

Preferably with a choice of "permanently "on and "ignition controlled" options? Although I can always work these out for myself...

I'm looking to wire in a GPS/laser/radar camera detector (v low current) on the ignition controlled circuit and then also to mount cigarette socket and USB charger on the permanent circuit (yes, I know - can cause battery drain, but I'll probably put an in-line switch to limit the scope of this).

Any help / links appreciated!

edit: this is relation to my B6 A4 Quattro TDi.

2. Issac Hunt

Issac Hunt Active Member
    VCDS Map User

The fusebox.

3. dunk

dunk Member

you could test the feed to the cigarette lighter socket - i think its on with ignition off, and more convenient to get to than the fuse box, or failing that the power to the radio

4. stevehall

stevehall Member
    VCDS Map User

I used the cig feed and put a 4 port 12v sockets in my glove box. Only ever use them for low voltage things, phone charger, tom tom and things like that.