Wiring help. Ignition live to use for GPS?

Mr_Freeze

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

i know the car has Sat Nav as standard, but i still use my trusty Tomtom as i have speed camera warnings installed and these are always updated constantly.

Rather than have horible power leads running over my dash from the cigarette lighter i want to permanently wire the power adapter under the dash and have the cable coming out of the pillar.

Does anyone know what colour an ignition live would be that i can tap off that is suitable to run a GPS and won't mess up any monitoring circuits?

Use fuses 1-11 on drivers side end of dash for ignition switched :)

Ideally repair wire in rear of spare fuse slot for dedicated TomTom use :)

I would go with what NHN said, get a repair wire and connect into a spare fuse location.

get a multimeter

Yeah got one, but thanks for your helpfull post. Oh and i have been using it for a long time, but again thanks for your helpfull post.

Thought i might ask the experts for their help if someone knew the answer, sorry to have bothered you but thanks for your helpfull post, oh wait your weren't helpfull, how did i miss that?

Now now, lets not start a handbags at dawn, friday night banter, no friction replies either please :)

Nigel, sorry mate,
I am quite capable of finding an ignition live all by myself, i just wanted help as i know there are monitoring circuits that i didn't want to mess up.
I didn't invite smart a**e comments, i simply wanted help and thanks for your.

sorry my comment wasnt meant to be " smart ars*d " having a multimeter is crucial when you dont know what wire does what thats its job,

and as you stated you didnt know what wire did what a multimeter will tell you 100% ,even if the god of audi messaged me on here telling me its the brown one id still check and im sure he would too.

sorry you took it personally

even if the godess of asn messaged me on here telling me its the brown one id still check and im sure he would too.

Dont think Sandra would like being called a bloke tbh fella :undwech:

sorry my comment wasnt meant to be " smart ars*d " having a multimeter is crucial when you dont know what wire does what thats its job,

and as you stated you didnt know what wire did what a multimeter will tell you 100% ,even if the god of audi messaged me on here telling me its the brown one id still check and im sure he would too.

sorry you took it personally

Ok, yeah my bad i took it the wrong way. I've been an electrician for a long time (not a house basher) so it hit a nerve.

As i said in my post to Nigel, i can find an Ignition live ok, just didn't want to mess up any monitoring circuits, as it seems these Audi's are clever that way!

:beerchug:

No worries , I'm also an electrician so first thought was get a meter on it, I don't like playing with modern car wiring as it can be so sensitive and has a habit of throwing up those horrible signs on the dash if done half blind.

hope you've sorted it m8

Thats it, 2 electricians with RS3's, I'm changing vocations, again, lol.