1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wiring head unit to standard sub and amp

joe_echo Sep 25, 2013

1. joe_echo

joe_echo Member

I've just got a new head unit. After fitting it The rear speakers don't work and neither does the sub. Is therea way to wire them to the new hu.

I knowi might get told ditch the amp and sub and get a better one but money is tight so I can't afford it right now.

2. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Sounds like you havnt connected the amp feed wire to enable it for rears, go & check your wiring.

3. joe_echo

joe_echo Member

Which one is the amp wire? Sorry I've never done this before

4. JohnE

JohnE 2005 A3 Sport 1.6 FSI

You don't (unless I missed it) say what year the car is, but the best clue is on the top of the factory head unit -there's usually a sticker on there that shows each socket on the back and what the pin outs are. If yours is 2003 - about 2006/7 it'll have two 8 way ISO connectors - one is for power and earth, the other's to the front speakers. There's a third mini-ISO connector (longer and narrower with more pins - that has the connections for the amp. You need to wire the pre-outs from your new head unit into there - there's a range of adapter looms available or you can make your own if you're handy of course.

5. joe_echo

joe_echo Member

oops sorry its the 2000 model. I have two iso cables, a red connector with only one wire in and a collection of small connectors all joined together. I will have a look at the onld one tonight and also post some pictures up.

6. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

That's an 8L not 8P so wrong section, although wiring is close to the same.

7. joe_echo

joe_echo Member

any chance one of the mods can move this to the 8l section. I must have clicked 8p by mistake.

8. fanta

fanta Member