1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wire 6x9 to factory amp Audi A3 8L

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Nimosonen, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Nimosonen

Nimosonen Member

[Jul 5, 2013]
    Hi there. I have an Audi A3 2002 mod 8L and want to upgrade my soundsystem. I have an aftermarket headunit wich I will put in my car soon, when I get the interface I need in the mail. But I've heard that there is an amplifier in the back that amps the to speakers in the rear? Is it possible to wire 6x9 to the amp? I have the normal Audi Concert system, not the bose version.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 30, 2014]

3. Gizmo20VT

Gizmo20VT Member

[Jul 5, 2013]
    It would be possible but the rear speakers are pretty strong from factory, perhaps changed the headunit with a decent rms output on the speaker channels and see if your not satisfied?

ALso if you change your headunit you will need a little "add-on" to get the rear setup to work again. It plugs into the OEM harness and has a remote wire and a pair of RCA's :)
  4. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 5, 2013]
    The subwoofer in your rear left quarter powers your rear speakers aswell. You will be better off powering the 6x9's with your replacement headunit in my opinion.
  5. Nimosonen

Nimosonen Member

[Jul 5, 2013]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I have ordered a interface that will make the rear speakers work with the aftermarket headunit. Atleast that is what the soundguy told me to do.
    I'm not sure I have the subwoofer in my car though.. I don't really have a good bass sound in my car.
    [/FONT]
  6. Nimosonen

Nimosonen Member

[Jul 5, 2013]
    But how can I power 6x9 if I don't go through the amp? The rear speakers are in the back door panels. And I want the 6x9 on the shelf in the back..
  7. Gizmo20VT

Gizmo20VT Member

[Jul 5, 2013]
    Then get the pinout for the plugged located in the rear assembly and change the wiring path from the rear door speakers to the 6x9's

Alternative - Lay new wires from HU to 6x9's and bypass the rear "sub and speakers"
  8. Nimosonen

Nimosonen Member

[Jul 5, 2013]
    Thanks for good help! I will go and try :)
  9. Gizmo20VT

Gizmo20VT Member

[Jul 5, 2013]
    Plug location is by rear lights

[​IMG]

I used a spare on my previous 8L to make a harness for plug and play when adding my amp.

[​IMG]

Im just trying to locate the pinout pic in my photobucket.
  10. Nimosonen

Nimosonen Member

[Jul 5, 2013]
    Do you know what leads to the two rear speakers? I just need to replace those two.. So I don't need to cut the whole plug off.
  11. Curt

Curt Member

[Jul 5, 2013]
    Better served throwing the 6x9s in the bin.

If you want to upgrade the sounds system, get some decent components. Focals are a good start, even if their budget range. There is no point in putting 6x9s in and moving the sound stage to the back. The front is where you want to upgrade, the rear is just for fill.

IMO, the best thing you can do if you want nice sound is: 4 channel amp powering front components, a sub for the bass and the rears just left to run from the head unit. If not, just uprate the front, NOT the back :)
  12. Nimosonen

Nimosonen Member

[Jul 5, 2013]
    So I change all of the component speakers, both rear and front? I have a factory sub in the side boot, but the quality is poor.. would it be a good idea to change the element in it + get a real sub on the side?
  13. Curt

Curt Member

[Jul 5, 2013]
    Just change the front speakers and tweeters, don't worry about the rear unless they're broken. In which case just get some coaxials and wire them up standard.

Yeah the standard sub isn't much cop. Depends how much you value your boot space... If it's not much of an issue just get a 10 or 12" with suitable enclosure, or if you want to save space you can get a box which replaces your original and uses a 6" sub. Although that would be significantly more expensive.

Then you would need an amp to power it... I'd go 4 channel so you can power the front speakers and the sub of choice :)
  14. Snash7

Snash7 Member

[Jul 5, 2013]
    For a 3 door what is the best way to route wires from the hu to rears as the back speakers i cant seem to get at. I have taken door bottoms off (broken 2 metal clips) but cant seem to take back side panel off to get to the oe speakers.
  15. Curt

Curt Member

[Jul 5, 2013]
    Take the sill trim off, lift the seal up around the window, remove the rear bench bases and pull. It takes a bit of wiggling but you'll get there
  16. S3quatt

S3quatt Flat Oot like a ducks Foot

[Jul 5, 2013]
    Do a search on here for the Andymac sub. He uses the original space to fit a MDF box & bigger mini sub.
    The amp as I recall goes in behind the rear passenger panel.

Does your car have Bose or not?
  17. Nimosonen

Nimosonen Member

[Jul 5, 2013]
    I have the none bose soundsystem.