1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiper resting position

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by exciter01, Apr 2, 2006.

1. exciter01

exciter01 Guest

[Apr 2, 2006]
    I've noticed recently that my wipers make up there own mind in a choice of about three position as to where to rest when they're off.

The tip of the passenger side wiper seems to lay pretty high sometimes and other times its on or around the blacked out edging of the windscreen.

Anyone else noticed this?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. synthdood

synthdood Member

[Apr 2, 2006]
    I noticed that too.

I read somewhere that it alternates the rest position so that the wiperblade doesn't always fold the same way and thus develop a preference for one direction. Sounds like a feasible explanation since I also noticed that once in the rest position the wipers will sometimes move a little up or down approx. one centimeter after a minute or so.

In all my previous cars (Volvo, Opel) I have had problems with wiperblades that would not fold over on the return wipe and as a result kind of squeek and bump back which doesn't do much for visibility. On the up wipe the window would be nice and clean and after the (noisy) down wipe it you would end up with lots streaks. It didn't make any difference whether I got the blades from the dealers or no-name halford ones or expensive Bosch ones. They were always pretty ****.

My Audi is the first car I ever had where the wipers actually do a good job! They leave no streaks and make no noise. The car is 15 months old now and I am still on the original blades. In my book that is pretty good.
  4. steve184

steve184 Active Member

[Apr 2, 2006]
    ..please don't talk to me about wipers... lol