1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiper problem

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by Demmerz, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Demmerz

Demmerz New Member

Hello all, new to the forum but I'll say hello in the proper place :)

I have a 2000 W A6 Avant 1.9 TDi (silver 'i', if that makes any difference!) and the bloody thing has developed a problem with the front wipers. I washed the screen this morning and got the oh-so-lovely warning that the level was low. At dinner time my good lady rang me to say the wipers had started up on their own and she couldn't stop them. She refilled the washer bottle and thought she'd sorted the problem although I reckon it was down to her switching the car off and on again.

Sure enough when I got back in it this afternnon the wipers kept randomly switching on. I've had a play with it and the only thing I can think of is the wipers reckon I've used the washer jets and are trying to clear imaginary screenwash. This leads me to think the wiper stalk is misbehaving.

Has anyone had this problem before? Is it a common Audi issue like everything else that's happened so far?
  2. The Slug

The Slug Active Member

well ive never heard about it, but i would say possibly relay gone up the swanny.
  3. Demmerz

Demmerz New Member

Thanks for that, I'll have a look. Any ideas on where the relay might be hiding?

On possibly related note I've found a huge well of water / screenwash that comes halfway up the battery. I've found a rubber grommet on the nearside of the battery with what appears to be washer tubing running through it. I've checked all the jets and they work fine so it must be running off the screen.

Am I right in assuming that this tube is to direct drained water away from the engine bay?
  4. John C

John C Member

Hi Demmerz
    There is a problem - which I am sure is posted on here somewhere - where the drain holes in the area under the battery get blocked up ( I think its called the plenium chamber) and the area fills up with water. When cornering it runs down through the pollen filter & finds its way onto the passengers footwell - under which is a range of electronics. I am not sure if the problem is linked to the windscreen wipers - but it may be. Try searching 'flooded plenium chamber etc' - its also a passat problem which are built similarly. Is your passenger floor wet?

I had heard that this was an AUDI re-call issue - but its easy enough to remove the battery; & holder & clean out the drain holes. I have read that pushing 3 core electric cable does a good job - bit have not yet tried it myself. I will do it on my A6 when the weather improves as a precaution.

I hope this helps - John C
  5. The Slug

The Slug Active Member

im guessing relay is built into the stalk, try remove clean connections then refit before spending mega money, if it works u know what the issue is.....
  6. Demmerz

Demmerz New Member

Thanks for that. After a hunt through the forum I thought there might be an issue with one of the contacts in the wiper motor but on the drive home tonight the bloody rear wiper set itself off. The only thing the two have in common is the switch (or the relay I've just learned is attached to it!) so that'll be the next step. How do I get under the steering wheel cover to get to the relay?

I also had a good luck under the scuttle cover and found a massive puddle about 4" deep! A bit of a worry. The passenger footwell is damp but not soaking so I'm hoping that's just down to wet shoes. I've never known such a ridiculously located drain plug, what were Audi thinking? Removing the battery was a right job in the dark.

Anyway, thanks very much to both of you for your input, it's appreciated. Unsolved problems are annoying so I promise to keep you updated :)
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010