Wiper - patchy contact, loose wiper arm?

SamDude

Reaction score
All,

Since I bought my A3, the drivers side wiper always missed a bit of the screen when it wipes - right in the middle of the wiper/wiper arm.

Thinking it was a duff wiper blade, I got round to changing the blade today (in time for its MOT next week).

When I changed the wiper blade and gave it a test, it still missed the same spot!

I'm now thinking that the wiper arm is slightly loose and therefore not making full force contact with the windscreen - it does seem to have a little 'give' compared to the passenger side...

How easy is it to tighten the arm?

I'm afraid my reply won't be able to give any glimpses into what the problem is but I can confirm I have the same problem but with my rear wiper!

It leaves an arch in the middle with verticle lines as if it's skimming along it...

I sounds like the arms are not putting enough pressure on the windscreen.

When the arms and blades are up (cleaning car mode) do they feel loose. Note you can still move the arms when they are up.

I'm not sure how old your car is but if it due for its first MOT rush to the stealers to get it repaired under warranty.

As mentioned, the drivers side 'arm' is a bit looser compared to the passenger side.

Car hits 3 years old next Thursday, dealer here I come...

Took it to the dealer.

They got an apprentice out to have a look, wasn't too concerned - he only had to tighten the arm right?

He tightend the arm and I tested the wiper again and it still had the same patchy coverage!

He asked me where I got the wipers from. I told him they were the Valeo's and were a direct replacement.

Oooo. Aaaah. "The problem is caused by you not using Audi wipers". He said.

"Don't be silly", I said, "If you get some of your fancy Audi wipers and they work, then I'll buy them".

So, he duly went round the back, got some "Audi wipers" and fitted them. We gave it a try and THEY WORKED! He was right!

So, I ended up paying £13.23(ish) for 1 drivers side wiper.

Moral - not everything that sounds like ******** is ********...

although it happened I still think is ********... Audi wipers aren't made by Audi for sure...

Pedro

I think the apprentice got lucky. I bet doesn't matter how you compare the Valeo's one to the Audi ones, you won't find anything visually different. But if it works, why should you complain, right?

Wipers are one of those things that seems simple enough, but is a pain to troubleshoot. Glad you got it working now, £13 well spent.

newbiecrg said:
although it happened I still think is ********... Audi wipers aren't made by Audi for sure...

True, not made by Audi, but that's what Audi used (that particular brand of wipers) to test with their cars? So when you buy a complete 100% duplicate of "Audi wipers", you still take a risk it might not work the same way as the factory ones.

Do have to point out thou, not all "factory parts" works either, haha. :keule:

mcmasman said:
I think the apprentice got lucky. I bet doesn't matter how you compare the Valeo's one to the Audi ones, you won't find anything visually different. But if it works, why should you complain, right?

Wipers are one of those things that seems simple enough, but is a pain to troubleshoot. Glad you got it working now, £13 well spent.

Actually, the "Audi" wiper was thicker and more 'substantial' than the Valeo one.

Yep, considering I paid £26 for a pair of Valeo's, £13 for one wiper that works is well spent. Now to get my refund for the Valeo's...

I'll get my new wipers from Audi then just to be sure :)

Very Interesting, I thought Valeo or Bosch probably makes whe wiper blade.

I bought a new rear wiper form Audi the other day, works much better that the previous 6 month old OEM wiper, rather odd.