1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter Tyres

Discussion in 'General Automotive Chat' started by rezulteo, Aug 26, 2014.

1. rezulteo

rezulteo Site Sponsor
    Site Sponsor

The end of summer coincides with winter tyres. That gives us the opportunity to review significant products 2014-2015 that we have had the chance to try;

Yokohama W.drive V905
    [​IMG]

Where: In the north of Sweden, close to Vidsel
    Cars: Audi A4 Break TDI, BMW 1 Series
    Dimension: 15”-18”
    To remember: good traction on snow, secure and sporty feel when driving. Much better than the predecessor V902B for those who know it.

For more details

Bridgestone Blizzak LM001
    [​IMG]

Where: In Sweden close to Vidsel
    Cars: Golf 7 1.4 TSI , Volvo XC60
    Dimensions: 14”-20” (by 2016)
    To remember: Faultless precision, driving comfort… overall a very good tyre. The dimensions available, that will gradually grow, are an extra plus. Compared to TS850 during the tests, the LM001 did not fail and showed a slight edge on its competitor.

For more details

Toyo winter tyres: Snow Prox S943, Observe GSi-5, Observe G3-Ice
    [​IMG]

Where: Val Thorens, France
    Cars: Golf 7, Audi Q5 Quattro, Audi A4
    Dimensions: 14”-17” (for the S943)
    To remember: Toyo is best known for its sports ranges, but the manufacturer wants to change that and establish themselves on the winter tyre market. And its new winter range is relevant.

For more details

Michelin Alpin 5
    [​IMG]
    Where: Innsbruck, Austria
    Cars: Audi A3, Volvo V40, BMW 320d GT
    Dimensions: 195/65 R15 91T to 225/55 R17 101V
    To remember: We weren’t able to try the tyre on snow, but in winter conditions, showing a great versatility.

For more details

And you, what winter tyre do you use?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. 45bvtc

45bvtc Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Vredestein Wintrac Xtream tyres on both the TT and RS3 - and here's the difference:

RS3641.jpg

Mega SAFE at ALL times...

Ghost likes this.
  4. DavieK

DavieK Member

Just ordered these boys for the snow and ice in Northern Noway inside the Arctic circle. Sizes available upto 20"

Attached Files:

5. rezulteo

rezulteo Site Sponsor
    Site Sponsor

Nice! Let us know what you think when you've tried them!

6. rezulteo

rezulteo Site Sponsor
    Site Sponsor

Nice pics, and yeah, big difference :)

Vredestein seem to be pretty popular here. Anyone else using them?

7. 45bvtc

45bvtc Well-Known Member
    Supporter

And here's where you can get on a very snowy day, high on Cannock Chase, using 'em:

BLUEY SNOW RS3 7473.jpg

A GREAT car wearing the right tyres in proper UK winter conditions - so much FUN it hurt! :salute:

#6 45bvtc, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    Ghost likes this.
  8. 45bvtc

45bvtc Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Those boys look the business DavieK, but I hope you're NOT gonna be usin' 'em on UK roads with the studs shown as those nasty boys in blue won't like it...

9. A4_MaJiK

A4_MaJiK Azeem

x2 on the Vredestein Wintracs. Didn't get to try them out in the snow (didn't have any last winter) so looking forward to getting them on again in a couple of months time I assume.

45bvtc likes this.
  10. DavieK

DavieK Member

No no buddy , just for Northern Scandinavia , compulsary up here from November to April

45bvtc likes this.
  11. 45bvtc

45bvtc Well-Known Member
    Supporter

I'd make cold weather tyres compulsory here in the UK, too.

No more summer tyred cars getting stuck on the white stuff and being able to brake/grip properly on 0ºC damp stuff. Think SAFE; get a set of winter/cold weather rubber for the months you need 'em and keep those nice summer/warm wheels and tyres for the months you don't.

And, it'd save throwing all that costly imported salted grit and sh*t onto our roads and then into our waterways...

T-800 likes this.
  12. DavieK

DavieK Member

Deffo agree with you there , lots more snow over here than the UK and you very rarely see cars stuck , and no idea the amount of older cars you see like cortinas , mk1 astra's etc and there solid because they don't use salt

45bvtc likes this.
  13. Audi Dynamik

Audi Dynamik Well-Known Member

I hope it snows this year, i cant wait to try out my new 535d on Pirelli Sottozeros winter tyres and wheels.
    Do you think it will get through the snow alright ?

45bvtc likes this.
  14. 45bvtc

45bvtc Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Yes, Bernie. It'll stop better too. I had Sottzeros on an S3 and they really were superb and, 10-years later, are still being used by the S3's current owner.

People fail to realise that a set of winter tyres can be cost effective i.e., the Vredestein Xtreams on the back of our TT are still showing the fraises after last 1000miles of last winters SAFE running.

T-800 likes this.
  15. Audi Dynamik

Audi Dynamik Well-Known Member

Thats great ! Even though it is 313 bhp and 630 nm and RWD ?
    I have found Pirelli summers do not last very long, im glad you said the Sottzeros last a while :)

45bvtc likes this.
  16. ScaredJimmy

ScaredJimmy New Member

Ran the Yoko's on my last car, (A8 D4 4.2Tdi), 3 ski trips each year over 3 years (plus a couple of crappy uk winters). Every time stormed up and down the mountain in heavy snow with supreme confidence. Brilliant tyres, quieter than expected and grippy as hell in the wet. Never aquaplaned! (on 255's I thought that was quite impressive)
    Will be looking for the same on the S.

45bvtc likes this.
  17. pluves1

pluves1 Active Member

I have a set of Winter Wheels/Tyres for my 335d. Absolutely different car with 17" wheels and Bridgestone Blizzak LM25's on in the Winter months. Tyres need replacing this year (didn't bother last year as we had very little snow).

I've never put winter tyres on the S3 as I didn't really feel the need. For me it handles superbly with the existing tyres on but, the snow wasn't too deep. I took great delight passing 4 x 4's on the A19 on my commute in the S3. With winter tyres on I bet it's going to be a lot more fun passing yet more 4 x 4's at speed.

Audi Dynamik and 45bvtc like this.
  18. 45bvtc

45bvtc Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Interestingly, I checked with TOYO Tyres here in the UK a couple of seasons ago regarding our A2 and their view was that they'd rather we ran winter tyres ALL year round than summer tyres in the winter; and I now believe them to be right. OK, if it's out-and-out summer performance we're after then summer tyres win hands down, but if its dry/damp/wet sub 7º C driving we're after then a cold weather/winter tyre really should be considered. And for the record, the A2 we put those Toyo Snowprox on is still doing sterling winter and summer service, a GREAT car is the AUDI A2

Record #2.jpg

19. The Doctor

The Doctor Well-Known Member

Quattro is great for forward traction in winter, but lateral grip and braking performance are greatly dependent on the type of tyre you're using. I run a set of Dunlop SP Winter 4Ds on my S3 from around end October to end March, before switching back to summer tyres.

45bvtc likes this.
  20. A4_MaJiK

A4_MaJiK Azeem

2WD with winter tyres or 4WD with summer tyres (lets assume snowy winters day).

Let the battle begin...:undwech:

21. 45bvtc

45bvtc Well-Known Member
    Supporter

2WD with winter tyres, no doubt at all...

22. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  23. T-800

T-800 I've come here to chew bubble gum ...
    Audi TT TeamMisano Gold Supporter VCDS Map User quattro Audi RS3

I agree with you 100% John

The problem is some people would sooner spend that money on going out getting bladdered than buying something that keeps them & their family safer whilst in the car on a winters day........

We have a couple who live opposite us who have 3 cars (and 3 kids) 2 off the cars ALWAYS have a tyre or 2 that is either virtually flat or down on pressure, but they still load up the kids into these cars and then go out !!! incredible i find that they are prepared to drive these cars in the condition the tyres are in !!

Makes my blood boil that some people cannot see the virtue in properly maintaining their car/cars, i see evidence of this everytime i park up in any supermarket car park, the amount of cars with tyres on the borderline of being bald is scary !!!

Maybe the authorities should spend less time with the speed cameras and more time looking for unsafe vehicles.

45bvtc likes this.
  24. rum4mo

rum4mo Active Member

I don't think that it has been said here yet, but, in my experience, the advancement or optimising of summer tyres has gone so far, well when considering premium brands, that they have become very unsafe in winter weather. In fact my local Costco warned me about this years ago, in particular, Michelin HP etc have no small grooves and offer very little grip in winter. I managed to survive maybe 30 years without feeling the need for winter tyres, only getting them for wife's Polo back in 2008. The following winter I started, for the first time experiencing severe difficulty driving back down my drive way due to severe icing, with my 4Motion Passat B5, after that I quickly got a set of Alpins for my spare set of wheels. Some of this might be changing winter weather patterns, but I do not venture out much in winter without having wonter tyres on the cars.

45bvtc likes this.
  25. rum4mo

rum4mo Active Member

26. Statler

Statler Old enough to know better

Hankook IceBear 300's on the BMW worked a treat in the last snow, I ran them from November to the end of April this year when the temp started getting up to 10 degrees. Saves excessive wear on the summer tyres as well.

Kept them for the Audi, this will be season 4 with them and there is still loads of tread.

45bvtc likes this.
  27. The Doctor

The Doctor Well-Known Member

I agree; tyres are generally becoming wider and lower in profile over time. Exactly what you don't want in winter conditions.

2WD or 4WD - winter tyres is the way to get grip in, well, winter!

45bvtc likes this.
  28. 45bvtc

45bvtc Well-Known Member
    Supporter

RIGHT: it's the rubber mix/composition that enhances a winter/cold weather tyre in sub 7º C conditions but it's these little buggers (sipes) that afford the grip - acceleration and braking - between seat and white stuff:

Sipesx.jpg

Statler and T-800 like this.