1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter Tyres & Wheels

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Rubz, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Rubz

Rubz Member

Now i know its only June but the time will quckily come back round to needing winter tyres.

I see Mytyres are doing steel wheels and Winter tyre packages. Ive also been thinking of getting a set of alloys im not too worried about and putting winter tyres on them.

What have other people done for winter wheels & tyre options on thier cars.

My A3 is the 2011 BE 170 quattro TDI.

cheers folks.
  2. Shadowman

Shadowman Member

I put BBS Calito wheels with Dunlop Wintersport 4D tyres on this year...... it was the first time I used them but the difference, even in just the colder temperatures was night and day...lots more grip in all conditions, fantastic in the snow and quiet as well.

Sold the S3 now so the wheels/tyres are sitting in the spare room ( got an A4 coming ) so if you decide to go ahead, feel free to make me an offer ( pm me.... they'll be a lot less than Audi will charge for steels, will go straight on and look a whole lot better) otherwise I'll just wait until the cold weather returns and sell them then..:).

Either way, I wouldn't go through a winter without them again.
  3. Rubz

Rubz Member

cheers for that shadowman.

Anyone else.?
  4. Ste_Nova

Ste_Nova Active Member

i got some cheap alloys off ebay and tyres from the cheapest online place
  5. coreythorny

coreythorny Member

We own a tyre garage, i'm gonna get a set of aftermarket wheels for summer and wrap the standards in winters for the poor weather.

Although, my last car was a Corsa VXR on Toyo T1-Sport running 250bhp and weighed about 1.1tonne stripped out. Tyres were 225/35/18 and I managed fine in the snow with a bit of gentle driving. So hoping the quattro and Michellins on the S3 will make it a more pleasant journey anyway.
  6. Rubz

Rubz Member

I had Yoko Prada spec 2's on over winter and the quattro system work really well. My street has a slight gradient and i stay about a 1/3'd of the way down. Vans and cars were getting stuck at the bottom of the street and i just cruised on by with no problems.

The good thing was if you wanted a little slip you could before the traction contorl kicked in.

Im just looking for other options. Looking to see if other have gone for steel wheels and winter tyre options from tyre sellers or having standard type alloys and winter tyres on.
  7. Veneeringman

Veneeringman Bazinga

Sold my S3 so I've a set of Goodyear ultrgrip performance 8 tyres for sale only bought last November done around 2000 miles they are like new. Let me know if you are interested.
  8. spencer361

spencer361 Member

mytyres - 16" steel wheels with continental ts830 rubber. Lasted me 3 winters (5 months at a time) in the alps and havent needed to put chains on once

'07 SB 2.0TDI FWD
  9. Rubz

Rubz Member

Ah ok thanks for your input, just what i was looking for. How did you find the mytyres deal..? wheel size spot on etc etc
  10. Rhyso

Rhyso Active Member

I picked up a cheap set of 16's from a member on here and put tyres on them. Look on Ebay for some 2nd hand alloys ;)
  11. spencer361

spencer361 Member

12. ub7rm

ub7rm Member

I bought a second set of 17" monza's for winter tyre purposes when I had a mk5 GTI and they bolt straight onto the S3.

The alloys were only £100, though they are in need of a refurb.
  13. IceHanger

IceHanger Member

second hand set of standard S3 18" wheels and Vredstein Wintrac extremes = an S3 Snow plough...nothing stopped it last winter