1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter tyre report

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by remslie20, Dec 19, 2010.

1. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Dec 26, 2010]
    Perhaps a slightly lighter right foot is required. My A3 is only an SE but with 17" 225/50 tyres and never have any problems with breaking traction on wet and greasy roads.
  2. remslie20

remslie20 Member

[Dec 26, 2010]
    Thanks for the advice but i definately do not have a heavy right foot, it does it with the missus driving aswell as the old man and anyone else who has driven it for that matter! Admittedly it is remapped but it still wasn't great at putting down the power prior to this imo!
  3. h5djr

[Dec 26, 2010]
    I think part of the problem in the UK is that a lot of people think they can do or not do just what they like without any consideration for any one else. This applies in particular to cars. Things like illegal number plates, modification to cars without any approval system as to whether it's safe or not, driving on parking lights etc etc.
  4. h5djr

[Dec 26, 2010]
    My 140 is remapped as well. Must be down to the tyres or the suspension setup.
  5. Brett Butler

Brett Butler Member

[Dec 26, 2010]
    Most of all I guess where it is on the road, there are some roads thsat are far worse hills in the wet at traffic lights in my town pretty well most people spin when pulling away in wet conditions, it is so greasy there not to hard to break the wheels
  6. remslie20

remslie20 Member

[Dec 26, 2010]
    Yep, Aberdeen has a lot of roundabouts/traffic lights on hills and the road surfaces are getting worse each passing month!
  7. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Dec 26, 2010]
    The problem in this county is that due to the levels of snow we normally get the best strategy is to clear the roads so we can get caught out when its more severe. If it was guaranteed we would have the levels we have this year I know we would rethink this approach including as said, fitting suitable tyres or chains etc.
  8. leach76

leach76 Member

[Dec 27, 2010]
    I agree with winter tyres and am definately looking into them for this year if weather is forecast to carry on or definatley next year if not but i cant imagine how any tyre helps on ice apart from studds or chains,m+s tyres are for snow and slush because of better tread
  9. Brett Butler

Brett Butler Member

[Dec 27, 2010]
    it helps due to the rubber being so flexible, it stays rubbery at very low temps not like normal tires that go rock hard, and are like driving around on 4 bricks
  10. PilotAudi

PilotAudi New Member

[Dec 28, 2010]
    + 1 Dave ... What happened to driving within the law and with some consideration. Worst culprits on illegally spaced PP's around here seem to be the Police HQ staff!!
  11. GARTHY

GARTHY Member

[Dec 29, 2010]
    Can m+s tyres be used all year? especially if you are doing summer shows with grassy car parks? Are they noisier or just wear out much quicker?
  12. beanoir

beanoir Sharpest Tongue in the West

[Dec 29, 2010]
    Dam right they are!!
  13. Brett Butler

Brett Butler Member

[Dec 29, 2010]
    I put Winter tyres on my van last year, and they been on all year round, not worn that much, though I dont do a lot of miles, they are actually quieter, more comfortble, as softer, but I would say that they do wear a little quicker, though ofc it depends how you drive.. they are the Avons Ice ST Something, very good tires

I might add though not to sure how much better they would be on grassy car parks etc, I am sure they will be better but winter tires are all about how good they are in very cold weather where the rubber stays flexible over summer tires where the rubber is so hard it is like driving on bricks
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010