Winter Tyre Options

GrantyBoy

Reaction score
Hello All

Just took delivery of my new A4 Avant Quattro Black Edition. I'm looking to fit winter tyres and alloys to it for when the snow comes, I live in the NE of Scotland.

What size winter tyres/alloys do people run. I was thinking 225/50 R17 with Vredestein as I've used that tyre in the past. Any recomendation of what works well with the Quattro setup?

Thanks
Grant

I used the set available from Audi. I got a full set of 17" alloy wheels and tyres and tyre bags for £1200. Pricey I agree but I knew they would fit and would be of good quality. They look god awful next to the 19"s that I have as 'summer' wheels but make a great car awesome in the snow and ice.

Hi Riggs
Do you know what width/offset the wheels are please?

To avoid the "castors on a sofa" look I stick with the 19" in the winter but run Michelin Pilot Alpins. They're the same size at 255/35x19 as my summers.
Pricey new, but got a second hand set last year on ebay and have to say they were great. Just as quiet as the Contisport 3s I run in the summer and wore well too as I had them on from November to April with no noticeable wear and I do 2k a month.

Whilst theyre dearer than the equivelent 17, its cheaper than buying a set of 17 alloys and its easier to lift the winter tyres into the loft than a full wheel and tyre!

Reactions: Spacemon
I use Michelin Alpin PA4 245 40 18 standard fit, they are amazing. 4 x 4 stuck going up hill last year, I drove up without any drama. Almost like no snow at all.

This thread is quite good -

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4: An ongoing review - Page 2

I put the tyres in Kwikfit winter storage, don't like Kwikfit to much but they are the only ones to do it near me and tbh the service is actually very good!

cheers

n0v

Reactions: TonyH38 and Cairngorm
Hi Grant,

I live in Aviemore and I also am just about to be a proud owner of my first Audi, I have asked the dealer in Inverness for a price of winter alloys and tyres, but I'm being told that they won't be available till end of September, start of October, he also couldn't give me a precise price quote yet neither as he says they set and price change every year but as Riggssuziki has mentioned above, they will be in the region of £1200..

For me living in Aviemore, It's a no brainer, smaller alloys and bigger profile tyres required for the winter to get up the mountain snowboarding, don't fancy the 19" and low profiles much in the snow..

Cairngorm, exactly the same for me as I'm in Aberdeen. Getting to the slopes when snow arrives.

Reactions: Cairngorm
I had a set of Marangoni winter tyres on my quattro TT for a couple of years, couldn't fault them. Never skipped a beat. Went on all the ungritted side roads just for fun and nothing could stop me, even really steep hills.

I have a set of 18" RS6 replicas with Dunlop winter sport 4ds that I use over the winter months, they work a treat and cost me £1200 fitted from Revolution as opposed to the £2000 from Audi. I've also used Goodyear ultragrip winter tyres which are also very good.

Well I've picked up a set of 17" alloys with Conti TS-850's as this tyre seems to be getting all the best reviews across the board.

i know winter tyres are safer, but ive been fine the last 9 years. and last year especially being that i had my quattro to help me,

Don't believe you are invincible even with quattro and winter tyres.....I still managed to get stuck!!

Anyone used 18'' Michelin Pilot Alpins? Thinking of getting a set around Nov time for the S3. #treats!

i'd like a set of winters for safety, but it's storing the summer ones (and vice versa, obviously) that's the problem, got nowhere to store a set of big damn 255 19"ers.

as for this comment :
"i know winter tyres are safer, but ive been fine the last 9 years. and last year especially being that i had my quattro to help me,"
that's utter naivety. you can't ever take into account other people's idiocy. i was fine w/ my own ability and the quattro system, and then some dumbfk stuck in a side road got his mate to push him out in front of me. i managed evasive action, but by the skin of my teeth and pure blind luck that the roads were empty that time of the morning : winter tyres would have virtually eliminated the problems i had.

i'd like a set of winters for safety, but it's storing the summer ones (and vice versa, obviously) that's the problem, got nowhere to store a set of big damn 255 19"ers.

as for this comment :
"i know winter tyres are safer, but ive been fine the last 9 years. and last year especially being that i had my quattro to help me,"

that's utter naivety. you can't ever take into account other people's idiocy. i was fine w/ my own ability and the quattro system, and then some dumbfk stuck in a side road got his mate to push him out in front of me. i managed evasive action, but by the skin of my teeth and pure blind luck that the roads were empty that time of the morning : winter tyres would have virtually eliminated the problems i had.

Im not niaive at all drive for the conditions and you will be safe. Just like ilse of sheppy bridge pile up. People still doing 70 and those with no lights on. What do you thinks goin to happen in 100 meter visiblity

As i said ive neer had winter tyres and see no need in my area and considering my car did perfectly fine. I even went to the extent ti try and get my car stuck. Wouldnt happen! All on summer tyres

Im not niaive at all drive for the conditions and you will be safe. J

that's the most idiotic statement you could have made, directly after my exact point that I WAS driving for the conditions but it didn't stop some other fkstick pushing their car out in front of me.
that goes for every other tw@ on the road who drives inappropriately and ends up skidding into your path etc.

Well i can post why i like. And you can say what u want. That dosnt make my opinion idiotic
Im not going to buy winter tyres to use for all of 3 months. The snow and ice isnt bad enough in the south to even bother. To change tyres is 17.50 each. And there also £150 ish each, my insurance excess isnt even that much!

So if some idiot want to pull out in front of me knowing the conditions then thats up to them.

Well i can post why i like. And you can say what u want. That dosnt make my opinion idiotic
Im not going to buy winter tyres to use for all of 3 months. The snow and ice isnt bad enough in the south to even bother. To change tyres is 17.50 each. And there also £150 ish each, my insurance excess isnt even that much!

So if some idiot want to pull out in front of me knowing the conditions then thats up to them.

Winter tyres are far safer in winter conditions, cold, wet, snow and ice. The braking distances are far reduced and cornering much safer. To say if someone pulled out in front of you then thats their fault is a little naiive. Its their fault that you crashed into then injuring your family or yourself but as its their fault thats ok!?

What if that car was in fact a child stepping off a pavement? Just saying.

All Wolfie is trying to state is that you are safer on winter tyres in the winter, it may save your life!!!!!! To quote that it 'wouldnt happen' is a little brave.
I do howevre agree that if you live somewhere that the weather is not really a factor then thats an easier choice for you to make. Up here in the cold North of Scotland I wish it was the law to have them fitted. So many crazy idiots sliding around on icy snowy roads. I bless Audi for quattro and winter tyres.

Winter Tyres v Summer Tyres: the Truth! - Auto Express - YouTube

Last edited:
Reactions: Cairngorm