1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter tyre choices

Discussion in 'General Automotive Chat' started by tom2, Jan 16, 2014.

1. tom2

tom2 Member

[Jan 16, 2014]
    Just wondered what people's opinions are on the different winter tyre brands in this now over saturated market.

Personally I always go for nokian winter tyres, purely for their massive reputation in Europe, where I spend a lot of time driving my car (A4 quattro)

Looking for something (cheaper than nokians) to put on the mrs' merc SL55 this winter, as I'm fed up of eating my clutch towing her off the drive every time it's a little frosty outside.

Not worth putting anything too expensive on it as they will be battered and torn to pieces within a week, just want something that'll do the job, it's already got 4 bags of sand in the boot.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. A4_MaJiK

A4_MaJiK Azeem

[Jan 16, 2014]
    I bought a set of Vredestein Wintrac Extremes online last month and I'm more than happy with them so far (mild winter to be fair).

225/40/R18 £500 for 4 online.
  4. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Jan 17, 2014]
    Always use Michelin Alpin, don't know if they will be any cheaper than the nokian
  5. rum4mo

rum4mo Active Member

[Jan 17, 2014]
    I have been using Michelin Alpin A3 and A4 and Pilots for the last five or so years, they do the job in cold, wet, ice, slush and snow and seem to last for a lot longer than I expected. I think that more people should consider winter tyres as summer tyres, well at least the premium brands, have become so optimised for summer use and that can make them not at all suitable for use in winter - in the distant past that was not the case.
  6. davc

davc Foursprung Duck Technik

[Jan 17, 2014]
    Avon Ice Touring ST for me. I paid £360 for the set last year.
  7. lauralouise90

lauralouise90 New Member

[Jan 23, 2014]
    I'd definitely recommend the Michelin Alpin - if you only use them over the cold seasons they will last a few years too.
  8. rezulteo

rezulteo Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

[Jan 24, 2014]
    Here's a link to all the brands that we provide knowledge on. Simply choose a brand, choose what winter tyre, put in your tyre size (alternatively you can search by vehicle at the home page), and the website does the rest.

Compare tyres for every tyre brand