1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter tire pressures?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Geraldy212, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Geraldy212

Geraldy212 Sportback owner

I have just changed from 225/45 - 17 (summer tires) to 205/55 - 16 (winter tires). Does anyone know how I can find the recommended tire pressures for these new winter boots? Also, for driving in very snowy conditions with chains, does one have to raise or lower the pressure, or just leave it alone? Thanks in advance.
  2. s3facelift09

s3facelift09 Member

There should be a recommended pressure table on the driver's door.
    When I had an A3 Sportback and winter tyres 205-55-R16, the pressure on front tyres was 2,45 bar, and on the rear tyres was 2,25 bars, it is recommended in winter time to have the maximum pressure (for maximum weight=5 persons + cargo), this is not the maximum pressure but I think it was sufficient: As for the chains part, I never read anywhere that it is required to lower or rise pressure, I always had aluminum rims and never had to use them, and I live in an area where it snows heavily sometimes.
  3. Geraldy212

Geraldy212 Sportback owner

Thanks S3, I just went back and looked at the filler cap door, and lo and behold, they did mention the 205/55 R16 M&S and their recommended pressure both front and back was 2.7bar, fully loaded car. I thought since the car was supplied with 17'' rims they would only give the preessures for those. Anyway, problem solved.
  4. rezulteo

rezulteo Member Site Sponsor

With snow chains there is no particular need to change your tyre pressure. It is true that generally speaking in winter you will need to increase your tyre pressure by around 3 psi compared to summer.

We have dedicated an article to this if you are interested What pressure in winter?, Tips&Advice car tyres on rezulteo