Winter tire pressures?

Geraldy212

Sportback owner
Reaction score
I have just changed from 225/45 - 17 (summer tires) to 205/55 - 16 (winter tires). Does anyone know how I can find the recommended tire pressures for these new winter boots? Also, for driving in very snowy conditions with chains, does one have to raise or lower the pressure, or just leave it alone? Thanks in advance.

I have just changed from 225/45 - 17 (summer tires) to 205/55 - 16 (winter tires). Does anyone know how I can find the recommended tire pressures for these new winter boots? Also, for driving in very snowy conditions with chains, does one have to raise or lower the pressure, or just leave it alone? Thanks in advance.

There should be a recommended pressure table on the driver's door.
When I had an A3 Sportback and winter tyres 205-55-R16, the pressure on front tyres was 2,45 bar, and on the rear tyres was 2,25 bars, it is recommended in winter time to have the maximum pressure (for maximum weight=5 persons + cargo), this is not the maximum pressure but I think it was sufficient: As for the chains part, I never read anywhere that it is required to lower or rise pressure, I always had aluminum rims and never had to use them, and I live in an area where it snows heavily sometimes.

Thanks S3, I just went back and looked at the filler cap door, and lo and behold, they did mention the 205/55 R16 M&S and their recommended pressure both front and back was 2.7bar, fully loaded car. I thought since the car was supplied with 17'' rims they would only give the preessures for those. Anyway, problem solved.