Winey Burrey noise

bioharry

Reaction score

Hi,

I am getting a winey burrey noise from my S3. The noise is coming from the rear and i think from the area of the left wheel.

The noise is not apparent until you reach 40mph where it is fairly quite and then at 60mph it is quite a bit louder then it dies down every so slightly and then at 75mph it is louder than ever and anything above this is as quiet as 40mph if not quieter.

I have been to my local tyre place to see if it was the wheel bearing so he jacked the car up and both of the rear wheels were solid so he did not think it was the bearing. He did say the tyres were worn down and needed replacing soon. Could this be a cause?

If i dip the clutch and coast from 80 down to 40mph you can hear the rises and falls in volume then same as acceleration.

Has anyone experienced this problem or have any idea what it could be? I am hoping it is something to do with the tyres which I will change within the next couple of months as they are not that close to the markers.

did he check the front wheel bearings?

on all the front wheel bearings i've had go, they have all sounded like it was coming from the rear of the car.

Sounds like the tyres. especially if they are worn.

I would get the tyres changed and see what happens!

This happened on my S3 and a mate of mines.

[ QUOTE ]

Hi,

I am getting a winey burrey noise from my S3. The noise is coming from the rear and i think from the area of the left wheel.

The noise is not apparent until you reach 40mph where it is fairly quite and then at 60mph it is quite a bit louder then it dies down every so slightly and then at 75mph it is louder than ever and anything above this is as quiet as 40mph if not quieter.

I have been to my local tyre place to see if it was the wheel bearing so he jacked the car up and both of the rear wheels were solid so he did not think it was the bearing. He did say the tyres were worn down and needed replacing soon. Could this be a cause?

If i dip the clutch and coast from 80 down to 40mph you can hear the rises and falls in volume then same as acceleration.

Has anyone experienced this problem or have any idea what it could be? I am hoping it is something to do with the tyres which I will change within the next couple of months as they are not that close to the markers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the exact same problem at the moment, i thought it was coming from the front n/s of the car so i had that wheel bearing changed. This made no difference, as time has gone on the sound is coming more & more from the back left of the car. It is going in saturday to have the rear n/s bearing changed. It is loudest at about 60mph, and after a while is very annoying. Also between 30-40mph and 60-70mph the floor of the car behind the passenger seat vibrates quite alot.

Could the tyres really cause this to happen, never heard of it before. I have Goodyear GSD3 that are about 3/4 worn and will need replacing soon. The car has now done 59k too...

I think we have cracked it then. I am now sure it is the tyres!

It must be a charactoristic of the eagle F1's on S3's.

That has put my mind at rest and I will get them changed when my bank account allows.

Thanks guys. Very helpful again.

Mine is the same and it is definately the tyres, but mine are toyo T1-S'.

After visiting the dealers twice I tried swapping my wheels back over to my originals which had badly worn Michelin Pilot sports and the noise dissapears.

I too thought it was the start of a wheel bearing going but its more like a droning sort of noise than a binding up noise.

Gets well and truley on my tits when cruising.

Mine is going in for a wheel bearing on saturday, looks like i could be wasting my time if it is the tyres. Problem is i've already paid for the parts.. Don't think i can get a refund as it was special order.

How can the tyres cause this excessive noise ? i don't understand it !!

Our Golf has a repetitive deep droning/wirring noise too. Its seems to be every second. Only noticed as its been my daily driver whilst the S3 is being fixed.

No idea what it could be. Like you say, could be wheel bearings maybe? What about flywheel/clutch/gearbox related? Buckled wheel maybe? Tyres?

AL

[ QUOTE ]
Our Golf has a repetitive deep droning/wirring noise too. Its seems to be every second. Only noticed as its been my daily driver whilst the S3 is being fixed.

No idea what it could be. Like you say, could be wheel bearings maybe? What about flywheel/clutch/gearbox related? Buckled wheel maybe? Tyres?

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

Wheels Bearings i can handle, but please not the flywheel/clutch/gearbox !!!

Lets just hope it is the wheel bearings !!

The reason I mentioned the flywheel was someone mentioned at work that their Golf (albeit on a TDi) had lumpy uneven idle, and Audi replaced the flywheel. :-( It was fine after that.

So yep, I'm worried too!

Going to search UK-MKivs to see if there is anything on there about this idle problem and cold running.

AL

Hi All

Hope you are all having a good weekwnd..

Just to let you know that i decided to hold off getting my rear n/s bearing changed on Saturday and instead changed all four tyres for brand new Toy T1-R's from Elite's in Rainham as they where pretty worn. And hey guess what the noise has stop, at all speeds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif The car is so smooth and quite now, like having a new car again..

Can''t belive the tyres can have this effect on you car...

Thanks for the advise guys..

Pal

Ive got the same problem sounds like its coming from the n/s/ front wheel. Personally i thought it was the bearing. But having taken it to audi for its service they noticed the drive shaft bush is knackered which has basically let all the grease out. They quoted £160!! I'm living with the noise until i can find someone else to do it cheaper.