Windscreen Wipers don't stay on??

methix

Reaction score
Hi All,

Maybe me being stupid and I'm sure it is but just noticed something today now the rains coming back!

If i have my wipers on say setting 2 for example, if I stop the car, turn the engine off and then get back in and turn it on the wipers will not be on.

I'm sure on my corsa (I know!) it did this. Basically the stick will be up in the position of 1/2/3 setting but to get it to work again i'll have to move it back down and then up again so it kicks in. This applys with back wiper as well.

Am i being stupid? Maybe I just have to get used to turning them both off when I stop the car but never used to do this with my old one.

Hope someone can shed some light!

Thanks.

They should go when you start moving, but stop when the car is stopped I think (or decrease in frequency a lot). If you have the rain sensors you'll have to give it an initial wipe by pulling the stick towards you so it knows what 'clear' looks like and can calibrate.

They should go when you start moving, but stop when the car is stopped I think (or decrease in frequency a lot). If you have the rain sensors you'll have to give it an initial wipe by pulling the stick towards you so it knows what 'clear' looks like and can calibrate.

I don't think there's any need for rain sensors to calibrate. I've had several cars with auto wipers over the years - Peugeot's always had to be switched off an on again on older models, the most recent was activated with a flick down anyway.
But with the A3 for I've left them in the Auto position a few times now and when I've gone back to the car next day they've started working automatically without me touching anything.

It's by design. If your windscreen gets iced up over night the last thing you want is for the wipers to rip themselves to pieces in the morning when you start your engine, just because you left them on the night before.