Windscreen Wiper Problem

Cjay89

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have tried searching all over for the same problem but have had no luck - so wondering if I could get your opinions.

Car is : 2004 Audi A3 8P1 (BKD Engine)

When it rains heavily (and mostly on the motorway) - and I have my wipers on continuous (happens on both speed 1 or speed 2) they work ok for a little bit, then randomly stop for a second, then start going again, then stop randomly again. I try wiggling the wiper stalk and changing speeds and even holding the wipers stalk down to manually wipe, but when they are "stopped" nothing gets them going again until they feel like it.

By the time I get back into my garage to have a look and try diagnose - they work perfectly, and I can't replicate the problem.

I have done a full scan of all the CAN modules and no fault (that relate to wipers) show up.

Has anyone heard of this problem before? and can anyone help me point me in the right direction.... It gets a bit dangerous sometimes.

Many thanks in advance,

Charlie

Do they:
1) stop between wipes
2) stop with the wiper half way across the screen

If it’s number 2 then it an issue with the wiring/connector to the wiper motor and or needs replacement.

Hi, thanks for the reply!

They stop between wipes randomly. As if they have been turned off, so they return to the home/resting position.

Cheers
Charlie

Do you have a xenon hid kit fitted by any chance?

I remember reading somewhere that on the A3's and Golf Mk5's hid xenon kits cause an issue with the wipers.
Having said that my friend had hid's in his golf mk5 for about a year without any issues

Hi, No I have the standard halogen lights with osram nightbreaker bulbs.

Short of replacing the wiper stalk and motor - does anyone have any checks I can do on Vag-Com to test if everything is functioning correctly?

I've since found out some info about a bonnet switch. If this is faulty it would prevent the wipers from operating. But how can I check to see if this is faulty. It seems to work as it should (ie, no dashboard illumination when closed, and when opened it shows the bonnet on the screen) when the wipers are having their problems nothing shows on the screen.

Cheers
Charlie

Ok - so to update this situation they have now begun a new quirk.

The wipers sometimes randomly stop in the fully up position, and return home verrrry slowwly then continue as they were before!

Still no wiper related stuff on the vagcom diagnostics

Do these wipers have a “Park position sensor” or some such built into the motor? Could this be the fault?

Would swapping the motor be the first thing to try?

Cheers
Charlie

Ok - so to update this situation they have now begun a new quirk.

The wipers sometimes randomly stop in the fully up position, and return home verrrry slowwly then continue as they were before!

Still no wiper related stuff on the vagcom diagnostics

Do these wipers have a “Park position sensor” or some such built into the motor? Could this be the fault?

Would swapping the motor be the first thing to try?

Cheers
Charlie
If you could get a motor cheaply then changing it would do no harm plus it will rule it out if it works as it should.

to me sounds like the wiper motor is on the way out

Reactions: RS3dan
to me sounds like the wiper motor is on the way out

I’d agree, sounds like the motor is on its way.

My rear wiper did similar things and upon inspecting it turned out the washer feed pipe was leaking letting water into the motor housing, corroding the gears which presumably was causing it to intermittently freeze (eventually stopped altogether).

Fixed the cause, cleaned up the gears and re-greased them and the same unit has been working ever since.

Probably worth a look before replacing stuff?