Windscreen Wiper judder

T

Tristan2

is this common on The S3 or not,it's the first time I've drove it in the rain,my windscreen has been treated with GYEON by my detailer,would that cause it or just get the dealer to change the blades,driver side is worse than the passenger side

I had the same driving home from my detailer which was also Gyeon by the way - they juddered a ridiculous amount but luckily they settled down after a few hours and have been fine ever since.

Not sure if there's anything worth applying to the glass and wiper blades in the meantime to aid this situation. If there is I'm sure someone will post soon.

Reactions: pburv and Tristan2
I had the same driving home from my detailer which was also Gyeon by the way - they juddered a ridiculous amount but luckily they settled down after a few hours and have been fine ever since.

Not sure if there's anything worth applying to the glass and wiper blades in the meantime to aid this situation. If there is I'm sure someone will post soon.

Thanks Rob,hope it settles down,as the drivers side is really quite bad
Just need somebody now to do some vcds mods on my car now,willing to pay + travel

Reactions: Rob2k68
Thanks Rob,hope it settles down,as the drivers side is really quite bad
Just need somebody now to do some vcds mods on my car now,willing to pay + travel

Where are you based ?

Reactions: Tristan2 and pburv
Clean the windscreen and wipers with soapy water, then finish with 10% vinegar and water. Dry off with clean MF towel or kitchen towel.

This is common issue with glass coatings will settle down after a while. Try the above method to clean and see if it makes any difference.

If you want to use anything on your glass aside from normal washing try Rain-X. I've never had judder on mine from day 1 :)

Reactions: batch
Clean it off with meths or white vinegar and don't bother again................

Another good reason not to use wax wash either...............

Sounds like new Wipers needed - Urgently.

Reactions: jdjames13
I have had this before when using the spray application of rain-x took about a month for it to go away.

Reactions: Goodfella74
is this common on The S3 or not,it's the first time I've drove it in the rain,my windscreen has been treated with GYEON by my detailer,would that cause it or just get the dealer to change the blades,driver side is worse than the passenger side

Hi, I've had the same problem as well, from new as I had the Windscreen coated by my detailer from day one. My drivers side is also worse. Dealers changed the blades under warranty (covered upto 6000 miles), and they were ok for a week but now it's back. Have tried meths, vinegar etc but no luck so far. May just leave it for abit and see if it settles although it's painful to watch!

Had it on my R, was worse with RainX. Changed the wiper blades to Bosch Super Twins and removed the RainX with soap and clay bar. Went back to AG Fast Glass :)
Now perfect, but do miss the sheeting in the rain ;)
Dave

OK guys stuff the Rain-X then and don't treat yer windscreen with anything!! lol

Reactions: Dan_Westbrook, Max-Robbo and Rob2k68
Been having this issue with my A3 S Line, 2700 miles on the clock (picked it up 500 miles ago) and been having constant judder. Seems to have started since it was washed and sprayed as well as using Prestone windscreen wash, maybe need to try some standard washer fluid and see if that helps, drivers windows developed an annoying squeak on opening and closing as well...

I have found that a mild dilution of white vinear with water, as suggested previously, has always worked with any car that's had this happening. The a3 is not alone in this as it is usually just down to just some contamination on the screen and sometimes that can be difficult to remove....

My car juddered with the factory blades both before and after a Gtechniq detail. However, I recently replaced with the Bosch ones from Euro Car Parts, which are completely silent.

bosch aerotwins, front and bosch insert for the rear made mine totally silent, the oem, seem to lose the compression on the 2" from the end of the longest one (RHD) drivers side, and you can see the lower end skipping and juddering., 3 pairs replaced by the dealer . . then bosch . .

Hi, I've had the same problem as well, from new as I had the Windscreen coated by my detailer from day one. My drivers side is also worse. Dealers changed the blades under warranty (covered upto 6000 miles), and they were ok for a week but now it's back. Have tried meths, vinegar etc but no luck so far. May just leave it for abit and see if it settles although it's painful to watch!

Then you'll have to clay it.....

mine have been horrendous from day 1, they have had no coating applied at all.
Had it in the dealers, they would not change the wipers as they do not come under the warranty they said.
They did clay the screen and it was much better, but it is still not great, oh and like others the drivers side is the worst.

I have some CarPro Forte Flyby to apply but just not had time to apply it.

What a waste of good beer! :)

Oh, you mean Isopropyl Alcohol. ;)

Reactions: AudiNutta, CHEZ and glospete
clean you wiper blades with some IPA

Tried that, did not work.

I think like some others here that the blade is too big on the drivers side and there is not enough pressure at the extremities of the blade to follow the curve of the screen, this then leads to judder

Reactions: Snibo
clean, clean, scrub, temporary fixes at best, replace them with good aftermarket wipers, and fix it once and for all.

Try and take it back to who detailed it, normally with a glass coating they will judder maybe first ten wipes but after that they should settle down, maybe need to polish the glass remove the coating and try something else.

Try and take it back to who detailed it, normally with a glass coating they will judder maybe first ten wipes but after that they should settle down, maybe need to polish the glass remove the coating and try something else.
I think this is what I'm going to do as its driving me crazy!

Reactions: StevieS3
Who in the world adds a coating to glass for goodness sake? It almost always causes juddering or smearing, particular with the type of blades used on VAG cars.
Even using wax wash ( what's that all about? What a joke) will add a thin layer of wax to the windscreen.

Leave it alone, just clean the damn thing!

Who in the world adds a coating to glass for goodness sake? It almost always causes juddering or smearing, particular with the type of blades used on VAG cars.
Even using wax wash ( what's that all about? What a joke) will add a thin layer of wax to the windscreen.

Leave it alone, just clean the damn thing!

Have added a coating of gtechniq to my s3 8v been absolutely fine, also had a coating of carbon collective to my s3 8p an that was perfectly fine have coated many cars with it never been a problem

Bought some Bosch aerotwins,all good now
The audi ones have gone in the bin

It was raining when I test drove my car and the blades juddered. Got the old "they all do that" line, but I insisted they were changed. Now they're not too bad, but the rear one is terrible!

This issue haunted me for like a year. I found that VIM (the white stuff that cleans kitchen sink) works best in removing whatever grime is on the windshield. After a nice thorough wipe with VIM, my original wipers are noiseless!

This issue haunted me for like a year. I found that VIM (the white stuff that cleans kitchen sink) works best in removing whatever grime is on the windshield. After a nice thorough wipe with VIM, my original wipers are noiseless!
Surely not old fashioned VIM. That is extremely abrasive.

After today's rain I've decided to replace the OEM blades with Bosch Aerotwins. I had them on my previous Golf GTD and they cured the judder issue. Could someone confirm these are the correct size for my A3 S-Line?
1 x Bosch Aerotwin Flat Windscreen Wiper Blades 26" (650mm) & 18" (450mm)
http://www.wiperblades.co.uk/audi-a3-hatchback-years-2012-to-2016-wiper-blades/
Thanks.

Make sure you get the Aerotwin Plus - these are the latest version with a new graphite coating and multifit attachments.

I found them superior to the older Aerotwin blades.

Model No. AP650u and AP450u (links to Bosch supplier here in AU but no doubt Bosch sell them in the UK). Bosch were the same price as EBay ones.

https://au.bosch-automotive-shop.com/en/products/details/-/productdetails/3397006952

https://au.bosch-automotive-shop.com/en/products/details/-/productdetails/3397006945

Rite I have always had glass coating on my cars and when you get judder clean the wiper blades and give them a light coating of your class coating and job done

My wipers were fine when I got the car in March. 2-3 weeks after collection the detailer applied Gtechniq C1 + EXO to the paintwork, and they said the windscreen (not sure whether both or either?). Ever since then I've had horrendous judder and smears, which only go away with a blast of windscreen washer jets.

I emailed the detailer a week or two after he the work and he said just clean the windscreen and wiper blades with glass cleaner. So I've used Fast Glass every week ever since and it hasn't helped at all.

Last week I eventually got completely fed up and swapped to Bosch Aerotwins on the front. No more judder, but still a light smear (not as bad but still noticeable that it is distracting when driving and trying to see clearly).

I'd like to probably have the window coating removed as it's just been a pain.

I'm not sure if AutoGlym Fast Glass even works that well. It certainly makes the window look clean but when we use it on my partners car after washing it, it causes her to have wiper blade smearing (no detailing done on her Punto). On my previous car when I used it to clean the interior of the glass (via spray onto a microfibre cloth first) it made the car (an i30) get terrible condensation problems. Constantly having to demist the windows, a problem that only came about after cleaning the interior glass!

For now I'm content with the judder finally stopping with the Bosch Aerotwins. If the smearing continues to wind me up I'll see if there's a way to remove the glass coating completely (vinegar and water solution?).