Windscreen washer jets - Jet to Fan retrofit...no longer heat

jetty

Reaction score
I carried out the jet to fan style windscreen washer retrofit a few months back (4G0955988A - 4G0955987A). All good, miles better than the 3 jet type.

Only issue is the heated side doesn't seem to work. I've double checked the connections but they don't seem to warm up and defrost at all. Nightmare in this weather.

Has anyone experienced this with the retrofit ? Any fuses associated with the heated side ?

2014 A6 Avant

Cheers

You do know the water coming out of them isn’t hot? “Heated” washer jets will freeze, I suggest increasing the amount of screenwash concentrate in the bottle.

I know the water isn't heated - but the washer nozzle should de-frost and allow water through.....otherwise what's the point ?
Never had an issue before with the jet type.

If your screen wash concentrate to water mix is low then the water could be freezing in the pipes well before the jets, some of the temperatures at the moment have been the lowest for some time. I would be looking at a 50/50 mix at the moment to stop the fluid freezing.

If your screen wash concentrate to water mix is low then the water could be freezing in the pipes well before the jets, some of the temperatures at the moment have been the lowest for some time. I would be looking at a 50/50 mix at the moment to stop the fluid freezing.

This. Heated nozzles are useless if the screenwash in the piping is frozen

This happened to me yesterday on the way to work......was deeply unimpressed (although it was -6)......so put neat concentrate screen wash in once I'd got to work & on the way home worked fine (still -3).

Guessing as mentioned above that the washer fluid had frozen in the pipes, making it more concentrated has reduced the freezing point of the fluid & kept the pipes clear of ice. For now. Seems to be getting colder :grumpy:

I'm using Autoglym with a -5/-6 mix, perhaps I need to use a higher concentration. Odd that the headlight washers work fine and even the rear washer!
The A3 is working fine as well with the same mix. Maybe the fan type units freeze over easier :shrug:

Might be engine heat thawing the others, I did almost 8 miles this morning before the temp gauge rose 1 bar. Mine stayed frozen all the way home today then cleared just as I pulled on the drive lol