Windscreen mists up ... drier

ashurz

Reaction score
Hi,

Im hoping this may be a quick answer for someone that has the knowhow =)

Basically every now and again when the a/c is switched on the windscreen can steam up. Common sense seems to say there is moisture in the system somewhere, after doing a little research i believe it could be a part called the drier ? may need replacing as this collects moisture in the system ?? Hopefully someone may have come across the same problem ?? It isn't causing any probs as the a/c clears the windscreen in seconds after it steams up (lower 1/4 of screen) but i just trying to prevent anything in the future ..

If it is this drier, any ideas on replacing and how much£ ?

any help much appreciated
thanks

Last edited:
Hello buddy,

the drier you're talking about is called a filter-drier. It takes the moisture out of refrigerant in the system so has nothing to do with moisture in the air.

The window steaming up is common to many cars mate and was pretty bad on my old CTR for example. I'm assuming you're talking about on start up though yeah? There's the window clear button on the dash that automatically enables the air con (if it's disabled) and directs the air to the windscreen as that's the best way to clear the condensation :icon_thumright:

Hi Staz,

First of all thanks for taking the time out to reply !

yeah the filter-drier must be the part. My issue is when i first turn the air con on or if i start the car and the air con is already turned on so just kicks in, the first 10 seconds of air out of the air con system steams have the windscreen up. Thus i was thinking there is moisture in the refrigerant/system and the drier isn't doing it's job therefore needs replacing ?

Leaving the air con on clears the window but its just that moistre which initially comes from the air co i'm trying to eradicate. Worse case scenario, i'm thinking this moisture my freeze next winter if left and damage the air con on the car i.e reservoir etc ?>

Thanks again !

How often does it happen? Is it at all times of the year?

There is no consistency to when it happens, well none that I've noticed. Could it be due to weather conditions; possibly ? I'll have to pay attention when it does it next !! Like i say it all works ok fine, just the moisture now and again ....

Thanks