1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windscreen issue

addo Apr 17, 2013

1. addo

addo New Member

Hi All,

just wondered if anyone else has had issues with their winsdcreens?

i have only had the car for 6 wks (an 57 plate a3 sport hatch tdi sport) and just a day after getting it the windwipers scratched the hell out of the screen and a stone chip took a huge chunk out of it....audi were great and got autoglass to replace....

i have been ill and hardly driven the car since then....and today...hey presto another stone chip and the wipers made more scratches (even though they were replaced) there was a bit of general dust/muck on the windsreen but i applied plenty of screen wash to clear.

dont know if its just the angle of the windscreen or not...or that its a common thing but with all my previous cars this hasnt been an issue.

cheers in advance for any replies :)

2. MrLapou

MrLapou Well-Known Member

New one on me.

3. ramp1990

ramp1990 Member

theres a lump out of my windscreen be rining auto glass soon :/

4. MacrosTheBlack

MacrosTheBlack Member

Stop following rally cars along gravel tracks perhaps?

Err no I've never heard of brand new wipers scratching a brand new windscreen under normal circumstances. Is it an issue where you drive? Are you sure the inital bad wipers were replaced?

I'm using bosch aero blades replacements rather than OEM and had no issues with them. If it's light scratches a good detailer might be able to polish out with a rotary. If you travel down a lot of roads where you know the screen will get pretty mucky, suggest you use a good glass sealant after washing to help protect it.

5. OVRA3

OVRA3 Well-Known Member

Mines been prone to picking up stone chips more so than any other car but maybe since stage one I'm keeping up to BMW's a little too well ;-)

addo likes this.
  6. max69vk

max69vk Active Member

Yep, seen it many times when I worked for Autoglass. Usually it happens if the return valves on the water jets aren't working properly... You spray the jets & nothing comes out immediately so a hard rubber blade is effectively sandpapering the screen with the dirt that's all over it till the water hits the screen!

7. addo

addo New Member

Thanks for the replies...will double check that new wipers were put on, will also get a glass sealant for after its washed :)

8. adi3390

adi3390 Member

Just out of interest has anyone bought a new windscreen/ had it fitted outside of insurance ? Mines got a few chips and a decent crack in it. Just wondering what cost it would be for the S3 w/ Auto wipers and lights !?

9. turbonutz

turbonutz Active Member

Im interested in that too adi I found a big crack on ma windscreen to :(

10. hades-

hades- Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep VCDS Map User

get in through insurance and pay your excess normaly £50/£75

it doesnt count against your claims aswell