1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windscreen Crack

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by MarcQuinlivan, Apr 11, 2007.

1. MarcQuinlivan

MarcQuinlivan Active Member

[Apr 11, 2007]
    Have a small crack in the windscreen - it is not noticeable, but I want to get if fixed before it gets any bigger.

Has anybody tried any of those DIY glue jobs, and if so, which one is the best?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 1, 2014]

3. SamDude

SamDude Active Member

[Apr 11, 2007]
    Most car insurance companies will send out someone to repair it for free (and without affecting your NCB).

If it needs replacing, they'll charge you £50(ish) according to your policy.
  4. MarcQuinlivan

[Apr 11, 2007]
    Yeah, my policy includes free windscreen replacement - no questions asked, with no impact on the NCB. They don't even need to send somebody out to inspect it.

The thing is, since it is such a small crack, I don't want to replace the screen at this stage. I'd rather just stick a bit of whatever it is into it to stop the crack from spreading.
  5. Staz

Staz is a retronaut Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Apr 11, 2007]
    But if the glass company turn up and can fix it rather than replace then they will
  6. emzino

emzino Active Member

[Apr 11, 2007]
    If you do it through your insurance company, does it count as a claim?
  7. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Apr 11, 2007]
    Not with most insurers and there is no excess to pay if it can be repaired. Usually an excess of around £60.00 if the screen is replaced.
  8. MarcQuinlivan

[Apr 11, 2007]
    over here (at least with my insurer) there is no excess to pay. The replacement is FOC and does not affect the NCB.
  9. smee

smee Member

[Apr 11, 2007]
    Marc,

Sounds best to just go with the experts, no cost, no fuss and better than messing around with one of those fix it yourself kits.

BTW - do all insurance companies in Ireland offer that sort of insurance cover? From my driving in Ireland years ago, windscreens were always getting whacked with stones so that must be expensive for the insurance companies!
  10. MarcQuinlivan

[Apr 11, 2007]
    from what I understand most of them provide it. I think one or two of them started offering it, and then the others followed suit.

It may limit you to one per year or something like that. I think I've had two windscreens replaced on various cars before.
  11. smee

smee Member

[Apr 11, 2007]
    Sounds like a good deal. Our excess is £50 for a replacement windscreen, I know because I had to get one a couple of weeks ago. For the other halves, Scenic not for the A3.