1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Vista... what a crock

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Caesium, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

we have just bought some new machines for our office and guess what, they come with Vista on them.
    We were assured that "the downgrade to xp pro is easy and free"
    Liars! its not easy or free, you have to obtain another copy of xp (which = buy one) and then ring microsoft for an activation key which you can only get if you haven't registered your copy of Vista, and ours came pre-registered!

We tried to buy another machine with XP pro from our supplier and they said that machines with over 160gb drives all come with Vista on them now, Joy.
  2. ScoobyA4

ScoobyA4 ding dang do

you can obtain a copy from an old PC / disk or download one (from dodgy site). it will still work as long as you can get the key from MS!

getting this is where it will go tits up. the software is not a prob.
  3. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

little tip for MS - Just tell them that you are rebuilding a PC which the software was registered on...The monkey on the end of the phone will prob just do it...Its worked for me a few times. We are a gold partner mind.
  4. ScoobyA4

ScoobyA4 ding dang do

if this is the case, get them to sort it, or take the PCs back due to being sold.

I personally dont have any issues with it. i run it on 3 out of 4 PCs and all is well!
  5. Beerzo

Beerzo Masa'warty 3200... Talk To Me!

As far as i was told in my Vista training in work (IBM) that there is a process in place that you can downgrade to xp it just takes a bit of flaffying about.

O did you know Vista has a built in secuirty that monitors the hardware in the machine. If you change enough components in your system it will think that its been transferred to another machine and lock itself down. Copyright protection system. We have customers that have upgraded memory and g f/x cards and then Vista locks down.
    Its good once you know what your doing. Just needs a wee bit of development. Remember the Xp has 6 years of full release development behind it and Vista only has 6 months.