Window Washer Warning - Bottle Not Empty..

ChrisGTL

Reaction score
Hey all,I think I know what the answer will be here but wondered if anyone ever came across this:I have had a window washer light on for the last 2 weeks (finally got round to buying some more yesterday), opened the bonnet to find the washer bottle lid open. Proceeded to start filling the washer bottle up and it took about 200ml before it flooded the washer bottle neck (above the gauze).Waited to see if it the level reduced any but it hasn't moved.Washer light on dashboard still lit.Any ideas? Surely because the lid was popped off it hasn't ruined the sensor or triggered a fault code? Oh man, I hate going back to Audi - their incompetence winds me up every time....

I think this is just simply a faulty sensor....even the dumbest of Audi techs will able to easily work out if washer bottle is full and warning light is on the sensor needs replacing.

My washer fluid light came on last week and I just added some water and the light disappear. No yeah it sounds like a fault.

Just a side question, is there any harm in just adding water rather than washer fluid because in my own experience when I used them it often left a water mark after it dried.

Yes, water will freeze without any proper fluid and by adding water only you'd be diluting it, also it might damage the pump if it goes slushy...

I wouldn't use just water, especially in this weather.

Sorry to hijack the thread but does anyone know where to drain the washer fluid?

Syphon it out? I guess the only proper way is to remove it but as it is quite buried under stuff it won't be a short easy job...

I wouldn't use just water, especially in this weather.
No it will freeze at above zero probably and knacker your wipers, and in the case of my last car (Astra) they used to pop the pump fuse which also served the tailgate release (common prob) Not to mention in warmer weather it can breed legionnaires and stuff, that and badly maintained air con can make you pretty ill.You don't mention where you can find just water easily either, the performance you have trying to get some in the average garage is ridiculous, local shell always has the blue light on the machine meaning it wont dispense, other places might have taps but no container.I always add something else of my own anyway anyway so have taken to keeping a 5L can in the boot and premixing it in the house with decent low temp screenwash as required, much less hassle, Tesco used to have machines that pumped additive though IIRC as well as blowing up your tyres.