Window tinting

marmite_on_toast

Reaction score
It's been years since I chaved up a car, but I could do with some help.

Are there different types of window tinting (quality/ makes etc)

Also, what about damage to the film (or whatever is used)

and what sort of cost (roughly) would I be looking at for an a3 sportback, the rear windows only (not the driver/passangers window!)

Any help would be great.:sex:

Well i wouldnt know about the different types of makes to be honest with you, but all i can tell you is that the quality used by the pro's and the stuff you get and do yourself from halfords is of a different league!

Depends where your from with regards to the cost, i've heard people say that down south it seems to be a little more expensive..

I live in sheffield and i got various quotes that ranged from 80-100 for back 3 and 120-150 for all 5 windows..

Hope this helps

Tom

different types are just based on shade. Obviously the front windows can only be tinted very slightly but the rears can be done at whatever level. The is also some film which increases strength of window. It makesmit vertually impossible to smash the window and I think these can do in tinted form. As said, it will be around 100+

You can also get a fading one darkernbottom n lighter at top, mirror finish but I don't these will look good on an a3

Well i wouldnt know about the different types of makes to be honest with you, but all i can tell you is that the quality used by the pro's and the stuff you get and do yourself from halfords is of a different league!

Depends where your from with regards to the cost, i've heard people say that down south it seems to be a little more expensive..

I live in sheffield and i got various quotes that ranged from 80-100 for back 3 and 120-150 for all 5 windows..

Hope this helps

Tom

thats mega cheap!!!

Got quoted £300 for missuses impreza STI passenger windows back!

I paid £230 in sheffield at protint to do the rear doors & tailgate, they did a top job , I've had a factory tint on my last car where the actual glass is darker & the finish on my film one is as perfect you really wouldn't know to look at it unless you were told it was a film.

160 quid in manchester on reddish lane great shop took 5 hours to do the job 7 windows medium tint

2.jpg

This is probably a stupid question... but what's visibility like in the dark! Especially when parking! That's with medium tints that is.

the visability is fine it looks dark because all the windows make it look dark inside but individually ie sat in the car you can see out of each window fine and if you was on the outside you can see me also not massivly clear if im driving so looks pretty legal ive not had a pull anyhow i done it because i dont want some tit to see my misses driving it and think of jacking her.... does the job ive got parking sensors to so i suppose that makes it easyer ....lol

There ARE different types of tint, above and beyond the different 'shades'.

There's dye-based tint, metallic tint and ceramic tint. -Metallic reflects the light best of all and results in slightly cooler interior temperatures on hot days. -May not be so much of an issue for much of the year in the UK, but in Florida that's a BIG difference; -specially in the summer.

However, the metallic tint also acts as an attenuator for radio frequency signals, and many people have reported lower signal strength on things like mobile phones, portable navigation systems, etc. -If your signal strength where you live is marginal, a metallic window tint may mean more dropped calls.

Dye tint is the cheapest (and is most likely what 'Chavfords' sells) but often 'fades' over time with strong sunlight, and also may brands tend to 'wash out' if you use window cleaner on them. -Most should ONLY be cleaned with water, since even dilute solutions of ammonia, or vinegar, or 'windowlene' will wash out the tint. Metallic film is usually pretty immune to cleaning chemicals.

Ceramic tint film is more expensive than dye, and usually SLIGHTLY more expensive than metallic. -It has the advantage of not attenuating radio waves in the same way that metallic does, and it holds up to cleaning products very well indeed.

So if you WANT the 'shiny' metallic look, you have to use metallic. -If you want the 'dark' look, you should use dye or ceramic. If cost is the over-riding concern, dye-based is the usual choice... just be CAREFUL with the cleaning products, and watch for fading in the non-shadowed areas. (sunlight fading deosn't happen in the areas shadowed by the window seals etc, so if you start to see the main part of the window being darker than the few millimetres at the top of the window for example, your tint is almost certainly sun-fading).

I went with Ceramic. I got all seven windows done, plus the two open-skye roof panels. -Over here there's a lot of competition, since MOST people tint their windows to keep the summer temperatures less oppressive, and so that keeps the prices pretty competitive... Mine cost US$340 including the roof, and the pieces were laser-cut, and installed in an INDOOR garage (less dusty etc.)

My wife's last Volvo got a tint job from some "we come to you" guys who did the job in our driveway, and they cut the film to shape by laying it on the OUTSIDE of the window and cutting it with a razor blade. -This worked fine for cutting the film, but unfortunately the razor blades nicked the edges ALL OVER the outside rubber window seals... -Bä$tìd$!!! -What's even worse, a few bits of grit on the outside of the car windows ended up "static-clinging" to the film, and then ended up between the film and the glass, where they stayed...

If you're getting it done professionally, ask HOW they cut the film to shape, if they do it indoors or outdoors under a canvas or whatever. the difference between a professional job and an amateur job is enormous!

IMG%5D
IMG_7002.jpg

Keith

the shop i got mine done strips the cars down takes the windows fully out of the car so the tint completly covers the whole window the do it in a garage with the garage door open the totally clean the windows with alchohol and the tint is placed on the inside they do a great job did on mine anyhow for 160 its a great service

There ARE different types of tint, above and beyond the different 'shades'.

There's dye-based tint, metallic tint and ceramic tint. -Metallic reflects the light best of all and results in slightly cooler interior temperatures on hot days. -May not be so much of an issue for much of the year in the UK, but in Florida that's a BIG difference; -specially in the summer.

However, the metallic tint also acts as an attenuator for radio frequency signals, and many people have reported lower signal strength on things like mobile phones, portable navigation systems, etc. -If your signal strength where you live is marginal, a metallic window tint may mean more dropped calls.

Dye tint is the cheapest (and is most likely what 'Chavfords' sells) but often 'fades' over time with strong sunlight, and also may brands tend to 'wash out' if you use window cleaner on them. -Most should ONLY be cleaned with water, since even dilute solutions of ammonia, or vinegar, or 'windowlene' will wash out the tint. Metallic film is usually pretty immune to cleaning chemicals.

Ceramic tint film is more expensive than dye, and usually SLIGHTLY more expensive than metallic. -It has the advantage of not attenuating radio waves in the same way that metallic does, and it holds up to cleaning products very well indeed.

So if you WANT the 'shiny' metallic look, you have to use metallic. -If you want the 'dark' look, you should use dye or ceramic. If cost is the over-riding concern, dye-based is the usual choice... just be CAREFUL with the cleaning products, and watch for fading in the non-shadowed areas. (sunlight fading deosn't happen in the areas shadowed by the window seals etc, so if you start to see the main part of the window being darker than the few millimetres at the top of the window for example, your tint is almost certainly sun-fading).

I went with Ceramic. I got all seven windows done, plus the two open-skye roof panels. -Over here there's a lot of competition, since MOST people tint their windows to keep the summer temperatures less oppressive, and so that keeps the prices pretty competitive... Mine cost US$340 including the roof, and the pieces were laser-cut, and installed in an INDOOR garage (less dusty etc.)

My wife's last Volvo got a tint job from some "we come to you" guys who did the job in our driveway, and they cut the film to shape by laying it on the OUTSIDE of the window and cutting it with a razor blade. -This worked fine for cutting the film, but unfortunately the razor blades nicked the edges ALL OVER the outside rubber window seals... -Bä$tìd$!!! -What's even worse, a few bits of grit on the outside of the car windows ended up "static-clinging" to the film, and then ended up between the film and the glass, where they stayed...

If you're getting it done professionally, ask HOW they cut the film to shape, if they do it indoors or outdoors under a canvas or whatever. the difference between a professional job and an amateur job is enormous!

IMG%5D
IMG_7002.jpg

Keith

Cheers for that Keith. I've been quoted £180 to do the rear windows, but asked him for a cash deal, and he came back with £160.00 He does it in a work shop in a town near me (shrewsbury) http://www.super-finish.net/index.php So I guess that is a good cost.

Just the topic!

I had my car tinted last week, and being in a tropical country, heat rejection is paramount. I also do not want the glass to be too dark. Price wasnt an issue, and I got the S3 2dr done for just under £700. Pricey when you consider this is ****, but the results are worth it since it's hot the whole year here.

Suggest you to read up on the spec of the film used, how much visible light that passes (directly translating into "darkness"), infra-red rejection (the one that really matters for heat) and UV rejection (to protect your interior from ageing i think...).

Brand I used is called v-kool, supposed to be one of the coolest yet clearest film. Got the 8mil "secure" version for my side windows that's supposed to hold the glass together when someone tries to break in the car. Other one I considered is the 3M Crystalline, but did not go for it.

The 8P A3/S3 is a little tricky in that the front screen is quite curved. They had to scrap 3 sheets to get my front right.

Dont skimp on the price and homework, a al-cheapo film + bad workmanship = frustration few months down the road when it's ugly and wrinkly.

Good luck!

I had Pentagon Supaglass fitted all round on mine for under £500. Clear on the front and smoke on the back. Not only does it look better, it's very good quality film, makes thieves lives much more difficult and reduces the chance of injury from flying glass in an accident.

Well worth a trip to them for a chat, so you get a feel for the service they offer. If you do I can almost guarantee you'll not go anywhere else.

I paid £220 for all 5 windows on my 3 door, this comes with a lifetime guarantee. The company I used tints the windows for the local Audi and Ford garages.

I went for 5% on the rear window (limo), 20% on the rear side windows and 35% on the front windows.

It is illegal to have any tint on the front windows now, I think it used to be 70% though.

You can't see in my car at all at night and in the sun you can only make out the silhouette of the driver, makes the car look 100x better!

The legal position is that the front side windows on all cars must allow 70% of light to pass through them. That figure also applies to the windscreens of cars first used before April 1985; any car first used from then onwards has to let 75% of light through the windscreen.
Taken from the VOSA website.
regards
dave

Take a look at pentagan glass tech. They are audi / bmw / merc approved etc. Fanstatic job its untrue. Me and my dad have had all our S3's RS4's TT's done. Its around £350 . I had Smoke in the front and Midnight in the rear. There is one further tint called limo but its far too black.

You can see throgh my windows. If you want I can send some pics.

David