Window Regulator - Glass need removing?

AlexGSi2000

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
After having my passenger side front window slowly stop working I removed the door card and found the steel wire all chewed up and plastic cog in just as bad a state.

I have just purchased the following:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Will the glass need removing / unbonding to fit? Im hoping ill be able to bolt this straight in.

Many thanks.

As Turkster say the top frame has to come out. There is a good 'how to ' somewhere try Google..

yes, the glass must be removed in order to replace the window regulator.

Many thanks for the link moggie -

Looks like I have a fun Tuesday night ahead!

thats the how to I used, takes about an hour to change the reg.

Thanks again for the link, followed it last night - wasn't as daunting as I thought and now have a working window again!

Needing to do this on my 2005 A3, cable snapped, anyone ever do a how to for that particular car or is this as good as any?

wierdly enough i have the exact same problem and was reading the same 2 year old thread lol , one of the cables have snapped on the passenger door of my 2005 a3, ive bought the cable repair kit from ebay as i hope ive not created twice the job by not just replacing the regulator... but the a4 howto guide im guessing is simular apart from the lack of access? any other how to guides on this ? thanks!

A ALSO have a 2005 A3 and my window reg has just gone, the cable is mangled and snapped. Luckily the window is up at the moment. Im going to get a new window reg of ebay to replace.

Funny how it works one day and the next it doesnt.

I found this how to for an A3, its the rear but should be similar. It has been up until removing the motor part so far for me, so i think i shall continue to use it. The doors look the same as mine :) Hope this helps

VWVortex.com - Rear Door Panel Removal/Window Regulator Replacement DIY