1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Window not staying up

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Catalystx, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Catalystx

Catalystx Member

[Mar 9, 2008]
    Hey guys,

I have a problem with my Audi S3 1999. both windows will go down but when i click he switch for them t go back up at all it rolls up a little bit and then goes down fully.

In other words i cant get them to stay up. I am wonderinmg what would cause this? i must tell you that the stock alarm is dissabled. well supposed to be. and i dnt think it is an individual part in the windows as the same issue affects both.

Any ideas what could be causing the problem? and how i could diagnose and fix the problem?

Let me know:blackrs4:
  2. mattm

mattm goldmember.

[Mar 9, 2008]
    window clips.. do a search, common problem and costs £2 each (2 clips in each door)
  3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 9, 2008]
    If you help the windows up with the button pressed do they close fully. The windows are protected in case an arm or head get in the way, so sounds like they both think there is an obstruction which is why they go back down again. This is usually caused by wear on the runners, so the glass gets skewed slightly on the way up causing them to go down again. Just grab the glass and assist it in closing, but longer term you'll need to strip the door and either replace the clips or the regulator. Do a search there's lots of info on here about this issue.
  4. Catalystx

Catalystx Member

[Mar 9, 2008]
    thanks...but would they both go bad at the same time? could the unattached alarm system have any effect?
  5. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 9, 2008]
    The alarm has nothing to do with the windows. Does full closure still work if you hold the button down on the fob?