Window buttons stopped working

r4vvm

Reaction score
Recently bought a 2011 2.0TDI A3 and have noticed that the window button on the drivers door stop working intermittently. Is this a common problem?

I tried pressing the window lock button a few times and trying to open other windows apart from the drivers one but no difference.

Have you checked the door wiring yet? If not, forum search is your friend on this very common issue.

Look for any broken wires inside rubber hose when you open the door. If all of them are okay, check fuse 12 (it is 10A fuse).

If all above is okay, remove the +red wire from car battery and put it back.

Happened to me yesterday, the last one solved the issue.

Then after that all you have to do is reset the window position. Get them to the closed position and hold the switch like you are about to close them for 10 seconds so you have one-touch feature reset properly.

I have a similar issue every so often when the auto up or down stops working.

Can still bring the window up or down but the auto function seems to stop. Then a few days later it'll be sound again.

I'm having this too on my a3 2010 BE. Don't know whether it is coincidence but happens more on colder mornings on first start up but seems ok when air temp increases. Don't know if this is the issue or a loose wire :-/

Again, a very simple check - open the door and check the wiring inside the rubber boot. In case of sportback variants, check both the rear and front door wiring for breaks, because the controllers are daisy-chained and in some cases front door wiring issues affect just the rear doors.

The above issue may cause doors to not lock/unlock or windows not working correctly/intermittently. If wiring is not the issue, then it's going to be something else, like the door controller module or wiring inside the door. 9 times out of 10 the issue is the wiring between the door and body of the car, so start there.

I have a similar issue every so often when the auto up or down stops working.

Can still bring the window up or down but the auto function seems to stop. Then a few days later it'll be sound again.

This sounds like a bad connection to the controller, which loses power now and then and causes it to reset and lose the windows auto up/down function until you wind the window up/down a few times. Check the wiring first.

Cheers for the advice
I'll get the wiring checked Inside rubber boot first

I had exactly the same problem. I think moisture got into the switch. I replaced the 4 switches (one piece) and its now sorted

Thanks for the info folks. Very useful