1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will the headlights drain my Battery?

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by misthills, Nov 13, 2013.

1. misthills

misthills Member

I have a basic question - if you have the headlights on the 8v set to something other than auto and you turn the engine off/leave the car, will the lights turn off or buzz to indicate that you have left them on?

The reason I ask is that I recently flattened the battery on my Landcruiser which has no warning if you leave the lights on and was chatting to a friend who said he done the same on his Audi when he had the lights set to on rather than auto. I was a bit surprised as I assumed in this day and age a car wouldn't let you make that sort of mistake.
  2. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

Hi, if you open the door with your lights on a warning buzzer should sound...
  3. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

With any Audi your headlights will turn off automatically as soon as you turn off the ignition and take out the key. The warning buzzer will sound if your leave your parking lights on.
  4. misthills

misthills Member

Thanks Guys - what I would have expected. Not sure how my friend managed to drain his battery (twice apparently).
  5. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

its Japanese, what do you expect...
  6. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

I don't think I've had my headlights on 'on' yet at all - auto works fine for me, but it certainly turns them off automatically in that mode!